Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ridiculous salt price

1. Back To Top    #1

Ridiculous salt price

Anybody else get a Doheny's catalog? Check out this salt price. Maybe it's not regular salt. It says sodium chlorine. Maybe that's different than sodium chloride. Anyway, I had a good laugh.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ridiculous salt price

That's Aquasalt. Repackage anything for a pool and you get to triple or quadruple the price. Check out the markup on baking soda at the pool store... I mean.... alkalinity increaser.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

What? I thought it was pH up.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Ridiculous salt price

Yeah - I just paid $8 for a 40lbs bag from my local pool store. Mine did not have a built-in handle. So, there you go.

36,000 Gallon Inground (IG) Gunite Pool with Spa and 12" tanning ledge | White Plaster | Cartridge Filter | Hayward Single Speed Pump (x2) | 400k BTU Hayward Heater | Hayward ProLogic Automation | Taylor K2006 Test Kit | In-pool Cleaner | August / September 2016 Build Date | Build Thread

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Esloser View Post
    Yeah - I just paid $8 for a 40lbs bag from my local pool store. Mine did not have a built-in handle. So, there you go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There it is. $42 handle. Silly me.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

This is sodium and chloride in a 1 to 1 ratio. It’s perfectly balanced. You’re getting 1.8696764 x 10^26 sodium atoms and 1.8696764 x 10^26 chloride atoms.

I’m surprised that they can sell it so cheap.

Note: You really only need the chloride atoms. See if they will sell just the chloride atoms for 1/2 price. Actually, the chloride weighs about 24.26 lbs. per bag. So, a fair price for just the chloride would be about $30.32.

For your pool starting with no salt, you would need about $900.00 worth of salt. That's crazy.

A long time ago, salt was worth that much. Maybe the company has been in business for thousands of years and haven't kept up with the new prices.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Well, this is going to be less funny than everyone else's reply, but I know the real reason. Shipping. I am guessing they offer free shipping on orders over a certain amount, and it isn't cheap to ship a 40lb bag over UPS, so they have to factor that in to the price. It's the same reason those catalogues don't sell liquid chlorine. Or they do if you search deep enough but it is something like $5/gal and the minimum is 100 gallons.

JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath

8. Back To Top    #8

I figured that was the reason. I tell you what I've seen recently when shopping online that really annoys me; they'll have a crazy low price listed for the item you're looking for, then when you get to the product its on a drop down menu with a bunch of other products and each one has a (+$x.xx) next to it. Bunch of bait and switch, click baiting scammers. I won't buy anything from a business that uses scam tactics like that. Let em all burn.

9. Back To Top    #9

Note that only adding the chloride will work for aquarite but it will confuse other SWGs that use a conductivity meter to test salinity.

Aquarite is specific to chloride but conductivity meters will get a low salinity reading.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

10. Back To Top    #10

Solar salt at hardware store is around $6 for 40 pounds. Wonder if people find delivery worth that much.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

Some people only have really nice cars that they don't want to put stuff like bags of salt in.
    Support the site

12. Back To Top    #12

Must be nice. I wouldn't know anything about that.

13. Back To Top    #13

For the price, it would be cheaper to pay for someone to come out to deliver and add the salt.
    Support the site

14. Back To Top    #14
    Chrisman, Illinois (East Central Illinois)

These comments have cracked me up!
    27' round Seaspray Evolution, AG, 17,100 gallons, Pump: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix Dual Speed 1.5 hp, Filter: Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter, June 18, 2014, Kreepy Krauley Lil Shark, TF-100 test kit, Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by S1ngram View Post
    These comments have cracked me up!
    We'll be here all week. Try the veal, and remember to tip your waitress.

Quote Originally Posted by n240sxguy View Post
    Must be nice. I wouldn't know anything about that.
    When I'm out and about in the Rolls, I typically don't like to carry around chemicals and such.
    Support the site

16. Back To Top    #16

I tried that brand once (but not at that price! Lol). There are two reasons I wouldn't use that salt even if it was cheap:

1. When I added it to the pool a grey scum rose to the surface from the salt...yuck! It did go away, but I've never seen that happen with other brands.

2. It says it has stain fighters, but no one at the company could tell me what is added as a stain fighter. I don't like adding mystery chemicals to my pool.
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 w/booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/Taylor test kits/pool installed March 2004

17. Back To Top    #17

Anyone willing to pay that much for salt... is likely having someone putt in the pool for them too.... so the handle and the delivery are negligible
    21' x 52" Round Above Ground. (Buried 2') AquaPro 1HP pump, Jacuzzi 19" Sand filter, Hayward inline chlorinator.
    Hayward H200 millivolt NG Heater, SunQuest 2 x 2'x10' Solar heater.