Problem installing Easytouch indoor control panel

Oct 7, 2016
Arlington, TX
Hey Folks. Rookie here, have owned a pool less than a year. Had an old COMPOOL 3400 which was having issues. Replaced it with a Pentair COMPOOL to Easytouch upgrade. Outside control panel, easy job with no issues. Tried installing the indoor Easytouch control panel(model 52049) pretty basic, four color coded wires. When complete, there's no power to the inside control panel. Anyone have the same issue? Any recommendations?

P,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all Ex-ComPool users... :swim:

As you say, there are only 4 wires.. and only two of them are for the power..

Have you used a voltmeter to ensure that you have + 15 volts on the red wire with the ground on the black wire at the inside unit without the remote being connected?

If you have 15 volts inside then the remote must have an issue.

If no 15 volts inside, then you need to see if you have 15 volts at the EasyTouch com port where the other end of the cable is connected.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thanks for the warm welcome and feedback. On the Pentair outside panel, red/black cables, it's showing 14.27 volts. On the inside com wire it's showing 11.72 volts. Could it be that the outdoor unit is not pushing enough power to the inside panel? If so, how do I increase the power?

Jose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jose,

There is no way to increase the ET's output, but I suspect that you either have a very very long cable or the wire size is very very small.

I would make the cable as short as possible and make sure the wire size is 22 gauge or larger.

If that does not help, then your only other option is to use a wireless model.

Or, install ScreenLogic2 instead on a remote. ScreenLogic allows you to use your PC, tablet or phone in place of the remote. It makes programing the ET about 10 x easier.

I have no idea if ScreenLogic works with your upgrade, but if you call Pentair tech support I'm sure they can tell you.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for the feedback. Wanted to provide an update. Installed a new 18 gauge wire from the outdoor panel to the indoor controller. I have power, huge victory!
Now it shows No COMM. I'm going to let sit for a while, then go through the reset procedures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Papito07,

I am in the same position as you. Install was straight forward and when I connected the indoor control panel, I had power immediately, but it reads

NO COMM

for me too. I have tried cycling the power and restarting the system in various order, I've checked all my connections, (green and yellow are for controls, I believe?) reset and erased the system indoors and outdoors repeatedly and no change.

Did you get this issue figured out, please?

Thanks!

Charlie

Jose,

There is no way to increase the ET's output, but I suspect that you either have a very very long cable or the wire size is very very small.

I would make the cable as short as possible and make sure the wire size is 22 gauge or larger.

If that does not help, then your only other option is to use a wireless model.

Or, install ScreenLogic2 instead on a remote. ScreenLogic allows you to use your PC, tablet or phone in place of the remote. It makes programing the ET about 10 x easier.

I have no idea if ScreenLogic works with your upgrade, but if you call Pentair tech support I'm sure they can tell you.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I have the Compool to EasyTouch upgrade and it works fine with the Screenlogic and wireless conction kit. Also runs my Intelliflow VS pump on the same com channel.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes the green and yellow are for communication, try switching on the indoor controller. Did you use the RJ 12 adapter?

Try switching the yellow and green wires at one end of the com line. Wont hurt anything and might solve your com problem. The RS-485 interface is polarity sensitive.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The adapter is for converting the phone jack to the four wire connector, it usually comes with the kit, not necessary if you have good connection. You should see it in the installation manual

:uhh::uhh::uhh:
Argh! I had the phone jack connection that worked perfectly prior to the upgrade. I upgraded the external board first, then ordered the indoor panel a few weeks later. I called Pentair support asking how I can use the existing phone jack cable to connect the board and controller, and they told me it wasn't possible, and to buy 22g four wire to run instead.

And they told me it was $400 for 100ft if I ordered it from them directly!! So I spent several hours running 60 feet of the new 22g wire ($35) through half inch pipe under my lawn and patio... and they could have just sold me an adapter... :mad:

And I still don't have a connection! I guess I'll be calling Pentair "support" again.

Howdy,

I do have a spa side remote that is the original remote attached to the previous compool. That has always worked since I upgraded to the easytouch and is wired to the IS4 remote slots per the manual.

The new indoor control panel is wired in to the J20 circuit which has the four correct color points.

I'm going to try and test the indoor remote at the outdoor panel with a short section of cable to rule out a cable issue.

Thanks for the advice guys!

The OP has a IS4 remote which used a different connector that the J20 RS485 Connector. Using a short cable between the ET and remote may eliminate a cabling problem question. If you still have the problem, you do not know if the culprit is the ET or the remote. Rather than fool with the indoor remote any further I would buy a ScreenLogic interface kit which includes wireless connection remote: https://www.sunplay.com/pentair-screenlogic-interface-and-wireless-522104

Connect this up, and if it works you now know the indoor remote is bad. Keep the Screenlogic and you will be way better off. If the SL does still not work, then call Pentair and start talking about a warantee replacement. In any event, the ScreenLogic will be way better than the indoor remote (sorry Matt, you will someday get this).

Your ET from Compool upgrade should still be in warantee. Don't forget to install a surge protector right at your ET line voltage inputs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.