purpose of rubber hose in skimmer basket

primem

Apr 29, 2017
Calgary, Alberta
Noob Here.
first time opening a pool so i'm reading and learning before i begin.

I want to vacuum out the bottom of the pool. I removed the skimmer cover, pulled out a jug of antifreeze and notice a red rubber hose going in the 2 smaller holes at the bottom of the skimmer.
Is this hose installed during the winterizing close out process? Can i just pull it out? It moves easily when pulled from the hole closer to the pool but is stuck on the hole closer to the pump.

Secondly, what pool instruction books would you recommend for a beginner to start with? TIA

Attachments

• 100_1668.jpg
    100_1668.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 79
I will let someone else answer about the hose. I know what I THINK but am not sure enough to tell you.

For the best pool care books?????? There are none :( The ones out there use the older industry standards. Here at TFP science and daily testing in thousands of pools has been used to come up a better way to pool care. The biggest thing the pool industry misses is the relationship between FC (free chlorine) and CYA (Cyanuric Acid).

Here is a link to our Pool School. It is a lot of info so take is slow and ask LOTS of questions!

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

We base everything on having your own test kit. There are two we like Taylor 2006 and TF100.

Kim:kim:

The hose was probably put in there for ice expansion. Some people use plastic bottles, cut up pool noodles, and the pool gizzmos that are made for that purpose. It's purpose is to keep ice from cracking the plastic box when it freezes.

That's the only thing I can think off. Like you said, you pulled a jug from the box, the jug probably didn't fit snug, so the previous owner inserted that hose to take up the slack on all sides of the jug.

Both of those holes should be plugged if the lines were blown properly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.