asusundevil

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 24, 2014
Chandler, Arizona
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
When I test my CYA, I literally fill the cylinder to its rim and can still view the black dot on the bottom. What should I assume is my reading? 10? 5? 0? And am I to also assume I have no stabilizer in my pool? Pool math indicates I should add 97oz of it to reach 30. This is the first year I've tested in April and experienced such a read so am a little alarmed.

I bought 2 of these earlier today: Pool Time 23417PTM 5 lb. Chlorine Stabilizer .

How would you recommend I distribute it into my pool? The directions say to spread in throughout my deep end but my pool vacuum would quickly suck it up.

Thanks!

So you had cya when you close now you opened and you're not showing any? If so you might want to do a test to see if you have ammonia before adding any cya. Just raise the FC to 10 PPM and retest in 10 minutes and Report the FC and CC.

So you had cya when you close now you opened and you're not showing any? If so you might want to do a test to see if you have ammonia before adding any cya. Just raise the FC to 10 PPM and retest in 10 minutes and Report the FC and CC.

I reside in AZ so we don't close/cover our pools. :D Essentially, throughout the winter I test maybe once every three weeks. When it begins to warm up, like it has been the past month, I begin to prepare for the summer. Today was my first CYA test of the year. Unfortunately, I can't remember what it was when summer ended last year but know it wasn't 10-20.

- - - Updated - - -

In Arizona, shoot for 50. Some people even go higher. But again, it's really easy to add more, hard to eliminate excess.

Is the high risk of algae at a lower FC level the rationale behind folks in AZ shooting for 50

Man, swimming already for a month? That's, as they say, "cray cray."

- - - Updated - - -

So each of these containers of stabilizer I purchased from Home Depot is 5lbs. When I use pool math, its recommended I distribute 112oz (by weight indicates 7lbs) or 117oz (by volume). When I hold one of these 5lb containers in my hand and visualize pouring the entire thing into my pool, +2 additional lbs, it makes me uncomfortable. As such, I instead poured 1/2 of the 5lb container into my skimmer (with skimmer sock).

Just tested and here are my numbers:

CYA - Assuming 20
PH - 8.2
FC - 4
CC - 1
TA - 100
CH - forgot to test

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Dooger54 - Not sure if your question was in reference to my pool but mine is not salt water.

I was referencing jblizzle pool. Just questioning why he keeps his salt pool at 50 CYA. everything I read here suggests 60-80. I would think the sun here in Tucson would make the goal closer to the 80 number. Course I'm new here and could be completely off base. [emoji16]

Who says I keep it at 50? I keep mine at 80, or I did when I was running SWG last year. Cell died and I have not replaced yet.

Richard was talking about targeting 50, with the assumption of a non SWG pool.

Man, swimming already for a month? That's, as they say, "cray cray."

- - - Updated - - -

So each of these containers of stabilizer I purchased from Home Depot is 5lbs. When I use pool math, its recommended I distribute 112oz (by weight indicates 7lbs) or 117oz (by volume). When I hold one of these 5lb containers in my hand and visualize pouring the entire thing into my pool, +2 additional lbs, it makes me uncomfortable. As such, I instead poured 1/2 of the 5lb container into my skimmer (with skimmer sock).

Just tested and here are my numbers:

CYA - Assuming 20
PH - 8.2
FC - 4
CC - 1
TA - 100
CH - forgot to test

Next CYA addition, put the CYA into an old sock, close up the end and hang it in front of a running return. With a bit of squeezing it will dissolve in no time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who says I keep it at 50? I keep mine at 80, or I did when I was running SWG last year. Cell died and I have not replaced yet.

Richard was talking about targeting 50, with the assumption of a non SWG pool.

My bad. Went back and read again. Wasn't criticizing, just trying to understand so I can get mine right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.