Going to ditch the chlorinater, got a couple questions

Mar 31, 2017
Austin, TX
Just built my first pool (startup March 2017), 14,500 gallons. Pool chemistry is excellent except my CYA is creeping up (currently at 90) due to the fact I use tabs. I've read a lot of posst and I read pool school and found the pool math site where it will tell me how much bleach to add. My question is do people add liquid bleach add daily or weekly? Do you have to test water every day and then use Pool Math to get new amount or are the calculations good for a set period of time, say a week. I figure I will need to add bleach in every day to compensate for the lack of tabs adding chlorine but trying to understand how to come up with proper amount to poor in every day. Also is it better to use grocery store bleach or try and find the stronger stuff?

TIA for your help

You guessed it......you'll have to add chlorine daily......my solution to the puck is 1 backwash per week along with a couple of "waste" drains (lucky to have my pool connected to a "sprinkler" meter.....I've also kept the pucks to a minimum of 2-3 in the chlorinator just to make sure there is always chlorine in the pool......chlorine % question is answered by what the best buy is for you.....hope this helps!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

So I have to test daily and then use calculator to determine how much to add? Or after awhile do you just know pretty much how much to add and test occasionally to make sure you're on point? Also I know liquid chlorine has about double the salt as a puck (read in another thread) Any issues with that building up over time and and downsides to that.

J,

Welcome to TFP.. A Great resource for all pool owners trying to get away from using pucks... :shark:

There are four ways to chlorinate your pool...

1. Using chlorinated 3" pucks... We do not recommend them, and you have discovered why..
2. Manually add Liquid Chlorine or plain Bleach on a regular basis. Usually daily or every other day.
3. Use a Stenner pump to automatically add Liquid Chlorine or bleach.
4. Use a Saltwater Chlorine Generator (SWCG) to convert the salt in your pool into chlorine.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Bleach is a daily thing, like brushing your teeth.

Testing and plugging numbers into poolmath will also be a daily thing.... until it settles into a nice rut where you already know what it's going to say. When that happens, you'll find yourself not bothering and just dumping in the usual amount, figuring you'll test it tomorrow and make up any shortfall then. It'll just happen naturally.

Which bleach to use is determined by price and convenience. Sometimes the weaker stuff from the grocery store or walmart will be cheaper per chlorine-ounce, sometimes the stronger stuff from the pool store. Check date codes if you run across any really good deals. Chlorine has a shelf life, so last year's leftovers may end up as just expensive salt water. Chlorine Date Code Decoder/Easy Way to Measure Strength.

Or after awhile do you just know pretty much how much to add and test occasionally to make sure you're on point?
+1 what 320 said. Most of the pools on this forum seem to burn around 2-3 ppm daily. Use poolmath to calculate that dosage (I would use 3 ppm) and then dose every day for 2-3 days. That'll give you a good idea of your burn and you can go from there.

I had mine pretty dialed in where I could dose every other day and stay in a good range.....it gets easy.

Also I know liquid chlorine has about double the salt as a puck (read in another thread) Any issues with that building up over time and and downsides to that.

No downside at all, actually there are positives. The salt content, which is still considered very low when using bleach, will make the water feel better(some say silky) and makes it easier on the eyes as it is gets closer to the salenity of the eyes. Some people even bring there salt content up to SWG levels without having a SWG for these benefits.

One last benefit, once you decide to switch to a SWG, you will have to add less salt (=

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Started liquid chlorine today, adios tablets

With a CYA of 50 I show that I need FC target of 6-8. Per the pool calculator I added 74oz of 12.5%, waited an hour and now I'm at 6.5 FC. Obviously pool stores are in for your money but why don't they adjust FC levels per CYA levels. I mean it makes sense but neither the pool company or the stores adjust for this. Just wondering why that is. I've always heard 1-3 FC is where you want to be so I'm just having to break the internal mindset that I have that 6.5 is high =)

Along the line of what MarkTX said, at least twice a week.

That's actually what I do. both pools I have owned have been able to be algae free with this schedule.

I test and add 1/2 a gallon on tuesday, then do that again on saturday. Daily doses might be best but
this is what I do.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.