Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool liner bleached, wrinkled in one area

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool liner bleached, wrinkled in one area

We got a replacement pool a couple of years ago, and I continued to pour the bleach in front of the return like I had with the previous pool. I guess, however, the circulation area wasn't quite the same, and late last summer we noticed a patch on the liner floor that is bleached out and feels wrinkly/"different" from the rest of the liner.

Is there anything I can do to stretch the life of this liner as much as possible (aside from not putting in the bleach the same way, which I'm not anymore! I've gotten good at doing a toss that spreads it out across the surface now ). Should we try to patch over it, or put one of those pool fake mosaic mats over the area? Or just accept that it's gonna die at some point earlier than it should have?
    WendyNat
    Va Beach
    18' round, 52" tall above ground pool
    2 speed cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool liner bleached, wrinkled in one area

Very interesting question..........I am not sure of the answer but my gut says just use care with all of your levels and keep them spot on and do everything in your power to keep from having to do a SLAM or allowing the water to become unbalanced. That alone will make a difference for all parts of the liner.

I worry the fake mats will alone cause more problems as they are known to help hide algae due to the circulation not being good under them so.........algae comes to say hi under them.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, Kim - I didn't even consider that re: the mats. I've also seen reviews about them not staying in place so it probably wouldn't be helpful even without the algae issue. My water is usually very well balanced through the season, haven't had to shock except at opening in most years. We just opened this week, and the water's good now - I'll be sure to keep it balanced over the season.

I hope that and my better broadcasting of the chlorine will at least stall any further damage. It seems like it might be too big of an area to put a patch over as well. ARGH! Wish I'd noticed earlier! I slowly poured it in the same spot in our previous pool for about 10 years with no ill effects, but a slightly different return setup in this pool apparently messed me up.
    WendyNat
    Va Beach
    2 speed cartridge filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Are you using liquid chlorine or granular? The granular did this to our liner. Now that we have gone liquid it isn't happening.

VinDeeLoo
    7600 gallons ~ AG ~ Summer Waves Cartridge C Filter ~ using pump that came with our Summer Waves 18 x 48 pool ~ Taylor K-2006 (SpeedStir & Sample Sizer) ~ no well water or water restrictions

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Do you add anything else at that spot? Any solid forms of chlorine or muriatic acid?
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath

6. Back To Top    #6

Bleach typically won't do that. Bleach can't really pool other than a low area. Even then, it shouldn't cause bleaching or wrinkling.

Wrinkling is usually from very low ph.

Bleaching is usually from solid chlorine, like calcium hypochlorite.

If you add bleach with the pump on, it should mix in quickly.

Always brush the pool after adding bleach to get good mixing.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Bleach typically won't do that. Bleach can't really pool other than a low area. Even then, it shouldn't cause bleaching or wrinkling.

Wrinkling is usually from very low ph.

Bleaching is usually from solid chlorine, like calcium hypochlorite.

If you add bleach with the pump on, it should mix in quickly.

Always brush the pool after adding bleach to get good mixing.
    I use liquid chlorine from the pool store - 12.5% in the refillable containers. Never used any granular chlorine or tabs, etc. The ph did drop over the winter, but I would think the entire pool liner would show issues if it was that. I use dry acid and spread around pool if ph is high, just because I'm not comfortable dealing with muriatic acid, but it's very rare that I ever need to knock ph down. I usually end up having to bump ph up a bit here and there to keep it at 7.5 (maybe once every couple of months?). The only discoloration and texture difference is right where I was slow pouring the liquid chlorine the last two seasons, so that's what I assumed was the cause.

We keep our pump on 24/7 on low.
    WendyNat
    Va Beach
    2 speed cartridge filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Do you have pictures of the spot?
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

9. Back To Top    #9

Here they are -
    Wide shot, can see the lighter area of the liner is attached, along with a closer pic of the wrinkles. It's more noticeable by feel - definitely a different texture to the liner surface in this area. (Please ignore the dusty spots - I need to vacuum!)

The bleaching area looks more stark in real life, or maybe it's just my paranoia....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    WendyNat
    Va Beach
    2 speed cartridge filter

10. Back To Top    #10

That's odd. I don't think that it's from the bleach. But, I don't know what caused that.

Wrinkles like that are usually from low ph. Any chance that powder ph down sat in that spot?

Bleaching is usually from solid chlorine like calcium hypochlorite or maybe trichlor powder or dichlor.

Trichlor powder could explain the bleaching and wrinkles.
    Support the site

11. Back To Top    #11

My husband put in some powdered ph down a couple of times - it's possible he didn't spread it around. Haven't used any solid chlorine - I've been BBB from the beginning after seeing the ingredients list on the TA adjustment bottle was sodium bicarbonate when we got our first pool - and I stumbled on this site . We did just start last couple of years with the refillable 12.5 jugs vs. store bleach, so my mind automatically went there. I'll just concentrate on keeping it all stable with the numbers and fingers crossed!
    WendyNat
    Va Beach
    2 speed cartridge filter

12. Back To Top    #12

I suspect that the wrinkles are from ph down sitting on the liner. If bleach were added directly where the ph was low, then it might have bleached the liner.

Liners are highly susceptible to bleaching if the ph is very low.
    Support the site

13. Back To Top    #13

pH Effects
    The joint study investigated the effect on vinyl of
    water pH between 2.0 and 10.0. A total of 224 white,
    blue and black vinyl samples were exposed to the
    ambient temperature and water at various pH levels
    between 2.0 and 10.0 for an extended period of time.
    During the test period, the total alkalinity in the test
    water was maintained at 150 parts per million, calcium
    hardness was at 100 ppm and the starting cyanuric acid
    concentration was 100 ppm.
    Tests were conducted with the free available
    chlorine maintained at either 1.5 ppm or 20.0 ppm (The
    low value was used because it reflects common sanitizer
    usage levels; the high value was chosen because interme-
    diate levels had limited effects on the vinyl. Throughout
    all investigations, pH was observed as the more signifi-
    cant variable.)
    The effects upon the vinyl of water pH in the 2.0 to
    10.0 range were determined with the free chlorine main-
    tained at 1.5 ppm. The results were as follows:
    • Exposed samples where pH was maintained in the
    7.0 to 7.5 range exhibited no adverse effects on the
    vinyl.
    • The lower the water pH drops below 7.0, the
    greater the incidence of wrinkling, loss of tensile
    strength, elongation and fading. Low pH (the
    acidic range) was found to have a more adverse
    effect than high pH (the alkaline range).
    • As the pH increases above 7.6, the vinyl loses
    weight and expands.
    • The lower the water pH drops below 7.0, the
    greater the vinyl’s weight increase.
    It is important to note that the vinyl material remained
    functional throughout the tests.

14. Back To Top    #14

Total Alkalinity could not be 150 with a pH of 4.5 or less.
    Also, if you're citing a reference, you should include a link to the reference.
    Support the site

15. Back To Top    #15

Water balance is important to vinyl liner life
    CHEMISTRY
    Chemicals And Vinyl
    by Don Ridpath