Pitting in Pool Coping

jonmar

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 29, 2009
Pool is about a month old. SWG vinyl inground. Our coping and decking is all engineered flagstone manufactured by a company called StoneLink. In any case, we have noticed little holes in the coping all around the pool. Could this be caused by the salt in the water? The company that manufactures it advised that it is safe for salt pools, but I can't help but think it must be causing it. Anyone know what can be used for a good sealer?

I cant imagine after one month its salt. And flagstone is pretty hard.

BTW, how did you get a stone deck in after only one month? They must have compacted the backfill every couple of feet?

The whole backyard is manufactured stone. It's make by a company called Stonelink. Basically, it's 'green, eco friendly' stone. Preservers quarries. In any case, they leveled the whole backyard, and then dug the pool, and then level the deck area again with some really fine crushed rock. They had some machine that compacted and pressed it. It was super hard when you walked on it, even though from looking at it you would think you would leave 'tracks'. Then they laid the stone on that.

In any case, we noticed while swimming the perimeter today that the coping (same material) had these little holes and pits in them. Portions would crumble if you pressed on certain ones. Now I know Stonelink offers a lifetime warranty on their stuff, and I asked about salt pools before going with it, but can anyone think of something else causing this?

Very nice. It's quite deceptive how large the pool is, and you're yard, till I saw the pic with the gal in the bottom of the pool - it's big!

Very nice, I love the look of the stone, I can see why you chose it.

What a mess on the install, I bet you were glad to have that build done.

Okay, sorry for the offtopic posts....

As to the sealer, contact the company that installed the stones. They would know which product works best with their materials. Then, check out the recommended product on line through the manufacturer's web site. You may find a product that meets your individual preferences. Some enhance color, some are matte vs shiny finish, some are more or less slippery. I would recommend you seal the deck ASAP. I didn't and have had some deterioration. Shoulda, woulda, coulda.

If you are getting crumbling, you may need replacement. That's the benefit of using stone pavers.

I didnt notice in my original response that the coping was engineered stuff. still, i would not think only one month after install that pool chemicals, including salt, would pit even engineered stuff.

Interesting using stone for backfill. Did they use it all the way from the bottom up? Usually they used processed gravel and compact it with a plate machine. I let mine settle almost 9 months before i put the deck in (unilock pavers).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.