Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Received TF-100 kit, attempted SLAM- still cloudy, What now?

1. Back To Top    #1

Received TF-100 kit, attempted SLAM- still cloudy, What now?

IMG_4065.jpgphoto frm this morning. Cloudy, lose sight of top of brush at a depth of 5'-6". Have used TF-100 kit for about 5 days now. keep adding bleach with slow results

morning test results-time 10:36am
    FC-1, PH-7.2, TA-100, CH-300, CYA-40, CC-1, Temp 77- added HTH stabilizer last evening to and it brought it up from 30 to 40.
    Also, added qty 3- 121oz jugs of bleach per poolmath last evening.

I started with a very dirty, dark, algae pool. Posted 1st thread on 4-17-17 and not sure my numbers were correct. You all suggested test kit and I got that. I attempted a SLAM and did not stay with it so all my efforts have been slowed. The photo is much better than what I started with.
    Do I need to slam again, now that I can stay with it???

Can't seem to get FC and CC to proper levels. Have had FC-1 and CC-1 the last week. I have used around 14- 121 oz. bottles of 6% bleach over last 10 days.
    I have read the pool school a couple of times. What am I doing wrong.

Also, drained down 14" of water and refilled after getting test kit Will wait to hear from some of you guys before I had more bleach. I have 14- bottles of 8.25% (Wal-Mart) bleach on hand if a "PROPER" slam is required.
    Approx. 19Kgal, Grecian 16'x32',IG Vinyl, Built 2-2001Sta-rite sand filter (T-200BP-1), pump/motor Hayward-continuous-3450rpm, 1HP. Polaris 380, (I rebuilt 2016), PB4-60Q booster pump 2007 replaced. Old pool cover will need replacing at end of season. City water. Hope liner last till summer of 2019

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Received TF-100 kit, attempted SLAM- still cloudy, What now?

I attempted a SLAM and did not stay with it so all my efforts have been slowed.
    The SLAM is a continuous process. You need to start the SLAM from scratch and don't quit. Many folks use 80 100 bottle of bleach. You won't need that much but you need to be prepared to keep the bleach at SLAM value until your pool is clear.

You have allowed your FC to drop below even everyday maintenance. You must understand the need for adequate chlorine to clear you pool. The SLAM works. Just use it!

Have you cleaned the filter?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, duraleigh.

I will start again, didn't realize that some folks use 80-100 bottles. I feel better now.
    My FC has been that low since I took the cover off, that's why I was confused because I wasn't seeing results in that area. I did get my CYA up from below 20 or 0 so I have accomplished something.

I'll get back on it track with a slam.

I have cleaned the pump and skimmer filters regularly. I have not replaced the sand in the sand filter in about 4 years.
    Starting over now.
    Jarhead
    Approx. 19Kgal, Grecian 16'x32',IG Vinyl, Built 2-2001Sta-rite sand filter (T-200BP-1), pump/motor Hayward-continuous-3450rpm, 1HP. Polaris 380, (I rebuilt 2016), PB4-60Q booster pump 2007 replaced. Old pool cover will need replacing at end of season. City water. Hope liner last till summer of 2019

4. Back To Top    #4

Can I use my in-line auto chlorinator to pour the liquid bleach in for everyday use and for slaming or just forget I have one since changing to liquid bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead6573 View Post
    Can I use my in-line auto chlorinator to pour the liquid bleach in for everyday use and for slaming or just forget I have one since changing to liquid bleach
    It won't meter things right. Save it for pucks when you're on vacation. Pour it in front of the return.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

10-4, thought that might be the answer after I sent the question. I'm not dumb, but, I am slow. Wife may tell you different, but, she tends to lie.
    Thanks for the help

7. Back To Top    #7

Been on Slam for 3 1/2 days. It getting better, Maintaining a shock level of 16 per chart. pool is clearing slightly each day. Seems to have gone from greenish color to just cloudy.

My PH has dropped and holding at 6.8 TA is hanging in at 100

Should I ignore the PH and TA readings until slam is complete or add Borax to raise PH and hopefully get rid of some cloudiness?

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead6573 View Post
    Been on Slam for 3 1/2 days. It getting better, Maintaining a shock level of 16 per chart. pool is clearing slightly each day. Seems to have gone from greenish color to just cloudy.

My PH has dropped and holding at 6.8 TA is hanging in at 100

Should I ignore the PH and TA readings until slam is complete or add Borax to raise PH and hopefully get rid of some cloudiness?
    Ignore it. Neither problem nor their related chemicals will cloud the water.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

Will do. Thanks

10. Back To Top    #10

You got enough to do just to keep the FC at SLAM level for now!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

11. Back To Top    #11

will do. thks