Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA Reducer

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA Reducer

What does everyone think of the newer CYA reducer that Leslie's Pool Supplies carries?
    Ashley
    20,000 gallon IG pool
    DE Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA Reducer

Tink,

We all think that Leslie's should carry it... to the dump.

I'm not sure if anyone here has used it successfully, but there are several posts about it not working.

I have a friend who tried it and it was less than successful and I believe he was actually duped into using a second dose..

Let's see if we get anyone with a positive post to chime in...

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

Jim has covered it well. Several members tried it with minimal or no results. The manufacturer even participated here on the forum for a short time trying to work with members to get positive results. When no positive results were obtained they stopped participating.

We have had several folks join the forum, say the stuff is the best thing since sliced white bread and then never participate again. I don't want to accuse anyone of being a shill, but these type of "reviews" are suspect at best.

We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Anyone who posts reviews of the product using only pool store testing (we have had a couple) are ignored entirely.

So, with that being said our advice is still to do a water exchange or a Reverse Osmosis treatment to reduce CYA. Water replacement is almost always more economical than RO.
    TFP Moderator

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

Support the site

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

People typically have 2 options to reducing their CYA (RO is not available in most areas):

1. Perform partial water replacement.
    Or:
    2. Add CYA reducer. Spend a week trying to let it work. Try another bag. Spend another week trying to let it work. Perform partial water replacement. SLAM because the pool turned green due to keeping FC low per CYA reducer instructions.

I have a preference for option 1 myself.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath

5. Back To Top    #5

Tink,

I live in the DFW area and can fill my whole 17K pool for $50..

Replacing the water seems more economical to me..

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

6. Back To Top    #6

How do I know how much of my water needs to be replaced?

7. Back To Top    #7

Use PoolMath to make the calculation. Just enter the current CYA in the "Now" column and what you want it to be in the "Goal" column and the box to the right will tell you how much water to replace as a %.
    TFP Moderator

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

Support the site

8. Back To Top    #8

Tink,

There is no way for any of us to know, because you did not tell us what your current CYA level is...

You also did not tell us how you are chlorinating your pool, as a SWG pool has different CYA requirements than a non-SWG pool.

Thanks,

Jim R.