Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vinyl vs Gunite Pool Construction in the South

1. Back To Top    #1

Vinyl vs Gunite Pool Construction in the South

Can someone educate me on why there are no Gunite pools in the south. I live in Alabama and everything here is Vinyl, why is that???
    I lived in JAX FL and had Gunite.
    15,000 gal In-Ground Vinyl, Jacuzzi Laser Sand Filter w/ 1.5hp Pump , Polaris Cleaner w/ 1hp Pump, Taylor K-2006-C Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vinyl vs Gunite Pool Construction in the South

D,

Funny, my Wild Guess would have been that 3/4 of all pools built in the south are gunite pools. They are in the area where I live anyway.

Let's see what our other members say...

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

Cost is the factor in my area. You can get a similar size pool 25-50% less money going vinyl over gunite.
    TFP Moderator

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

Support the site

4. Back To Top    #4

There are gubite pools in Alabama. We had one there. Maybe google gunite builders? Here is one: Gunite Pools - Hughes Pools Spas

Alabama does have peacock pavers available locally .. so jealous!
    Home - Peacock Pavers
    IG Gunite 20x40 pool with Pebbletec finish (Tahoe blue with luminous glass in mixed jade); Pentair DE Filter and Pump; Intellibrite LED lights; RayPac 8350 Heat and Cool Heat Pump; NPT Arctic Ice glass tile; Coverstar autocover; Cambridge Renaissance Pavers in Onyx Lite; bluestone coping.

5. Back To Top    #5

This pool was already here when we bought the house. I dont think I would ever pay to have vinyl installed.
    15,000 gal In-Ground Vinyl, Jacuzzi Laser Sand Filter w/ 1.5hp Pump , Polaris Cleaner w/ 1hp Pump, Taylor K-2006-C Test Kit