Recommendation on a robot

Apr 28, 2017
NJ
I had an aquabot and it died? I don't want to spend a gazillion dollars but I also don't want to spend $100 and not get the job done. I have a vinyl 20 x 40 rectangle pool. I use my robot a lot.... and u want it to do a great job. I have seen Polaris, doheny and dolphin talked about. Which would be best for my pool?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I have had a Dolphin Nautilus for 3 years and it is great. It climbs the walls and never misses a spot. I recommended to a friend with a vinyl pool and they love it as well. They are about $600, so not super cheap. Good luck with your search!

Well after many many runs, my robot finally got hung up! lol Cousin Eddy (Doheny Discovery) was found like a turtle on its back on one of my sitting ledges. Apparently he was doing his job scrubbing the waterline and found his way onto that ledge, and when falling backwards onto his back was exposed enough out of the water to become helpless. Since he lost his buoyancy, pretty sure it would've happened to any cleaner. That's the first time that's happened in months of daily cleaning. Could not be happier, and I think Cousin Eddy was happy to see me.[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Earl is winning in that competition. On about 4 out of 10 or 12 runs he ended up on his back on a long bench that is in ~16" of water. While I'm not thrilled about it, he cleans so well, I just keep thinking he'll learn and don't worry about it too much. After a few minutes of immodesty, he blushes and turns off. Who knows, maybe that's why he was returned to the shelter where I rescued him.

Im thinking after reading more that I kind of like the little extras. I was checking on the Dolphin m500 but I guess that is to much for my vinyl pool from what I understood. I do realize I would like an easy to change filter. My aquabot was a big pain. It had a bag(which I called a diaper) and it was a pain getting it back in. It never stayed up. I thought it did clean well. So I think I would like a filter maybe on the top and definitely one that goes to the water line on the walls. My aquabot(Jeffrey) only went halfway and then got confused.

There are so many options, at so many different price points.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the major difference between price categories?
Additionally, there seem to be differencens between model names/numbers in the US vs Canada, more confusion.

For example, on this Canadian website, there are 3 different Polaris models, at CAD$830, CAD$1150 and CAD$1350
How much better is the expensive one, versus the cheaper one?

I'm also looking at the Dolphin Premium, which seems to be the 300i model listed elsewhere.

Robotic Pool Cleaners - Pool Supplies Canada

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There are so many options, at so many different price points.

It is all very confusing, especially with all of the re-branding going on.

Reading all the various pool robot posts on the forum, Dolphin seems to be the top choice. However Dolphin/Maytronics are also branded as "Pentair", "Doheny", etc...

Most people do not find the some of the "extras" such as remote control, bluetooth control, etc...worthwhile. The top loading basket seems very popular.

With all of the various Dolphin options I think that in general you get what you pay for. So, the bigger your pool or the more trees/debris you have, the more likely you are to be happy if you spend more money. Having said that, if you shop around a little, or find the internet version of a particular model (i.e. buying a Doheny Discovery instead of a S200), you may save a few bucks.

I have a 20'x40" vinly pool and I just bought a Dolphin Nautilus Plus. So far, so good. However, I don't get a lot of leaves in the pool. If I did get a lot of leaves, I think the baskets on this model might be too small.

Ya I have read th Doheny thread. It is very confusing faby3003 ! I don't get a lot of tree debris. We don't have many trees at all. But we have a flat big backyard and its always very windy. So we definitely get a lot of dirt blown into the pool along with a few leaves here and there. For me the top loading filter is important. I had a bottom one and it's annoying. I will check out the Nautilus plus. I called pool stores and they all recommend the polaris as being the best. But I keep seeing people who have problems with them? I guess Doheny is the store? Or are all Doheny's refurbished?

I have not read a lot about the Polaris robots, so can't speak to those. I bought my Nautilus Plus at SunPlay.com. They have an article about pool robots http://www.sunplay.com/blog/the-truth-about-pool-cleaners-what-your-pool-store-isnt-telling-you that I found useful, so that is why I chose to buy from them vs. other online retailers who had the same price.

For me and my pool, I couldn't find a good reason to spend more than I did for the Nautilus Plus ($670). I could have spent maybe $100 less and got a Nautilus/S-100 type robot, but I thought my pool was big enough to warrant the extra brush and filter basket.

Im on the dolphin website now trying to figure it out. I can't find the different between some of them.. Im trying to figure out the Dolphin 2017 Triton, S series. Im interested in the m series but I guess its too aggressive for vinyl. I think that is where I am at.. S series and Triton(the newer one)

I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure the Triton is the same as the S200 and the Triton Plus is the same as the S300. I believe the only difference between the S200 and the S300 is some of the programming options.

No, mine was new from Doheny's.

Yes, the S200 is Doheny's Discovery, Dolphin Active 20 or Triton Plus

The S100 is Doheny's Saturn, Dolphin Active 10 or Triton.

Where does the dolphin Premiere fit in? Thank you for answering ..it is very confusing. I think you said it earlier in the doheny thread.. but my mind is all over the place. What is the s300 equivalent to?

No, mine was new from Doheny's.

Yes, the S200 is Doheny's Discovery, Dolphin Active 20 or Triton Plus

The S100 is Doheny's Saturn, Dolphin Active 10 or Triton.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.