Confusion to share with all.

kenmar said:
It sounds as if some sort of "Pool Triage Wizzard" is needed.
Perhaps by selectively linking articles...

I like it! But if would take a ton of programming because you'd have to factor in the things Evan mentioned, pool surface, IG/AG, current method of sanitizing and etc. Unless the linked articles themselves would include different methods for those circumstances. A Pool Triage Wizard could really pull Pool School together, nice idea.

Just to be clear, I am not a newbie in anyway to pool chemistry and I still did not pay attention to the subtle difference. I have been doing pools, with store chemicals since 1978 and I am not that old.

Since it is BBB, Bleach, Baking Soda and Borax, I just assumed oxidizer, ph up and algecide. I should have understood oxidizer, total alkilinity increaser and ph up.

And based on anothers comment a rename to BBAB seems more appropriate, Bleach, Borax, Acid, Baking soda, oxidizer, ph up (algicide if in large ppm counts), ph down, and total alkilinity decreaser. :)

I thought I had read it all and understood it. I can only image what the newbies go through. posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=14233#
:grrrr:

I hear you Anna.

To share my experience - when I was a noob - I balked at the thought of spending MORE money on some test kit - I tried to get by with the Wallyworld 6 way and managed to limp thru the rest of the summer. But I never had a full blown algae bloom... anyway, the following spring and my funds had recovered, when I opened to a clear pool and residual FC, I felt I owed something back to TFP and I became a supporter and ordered a kit. WOW. I was so surprised at how much more in control the test kit made me feel about the pool, no more guessing and hoping I was doing the right things. I do agree you can "get by" with the 6-way in some situations especially if you are just maintaining, but running into trouble - I don't personally think its good enough. Just my 2 cents on that. :wink:

frustratedpoolmom said:
I do agree you can "get by" with the 6-way in some situations especially if you are just maintaining, but running into trouble - I don't personally think its good enough.
It's not. I've been preaching that for a LONG time! (Probably even to you back in the day! :wink: )

A good test kit is absolutely essential but we don't know about them until after we have a problem that defeats and defies the smaller kits and test strips. My personal approach, when I feel qualified to offer assistance, is to work with what information the person has or can easily provide, try to at least approach resolution of their situation so that they can relax a little and be more receptive to spending yet more money so they can do some kitchen chemistry.

My friend switched from Baqua to trichlor last year. I talked myself silly getting her off the Baqua but could not convince her to go with BBB. Why? Because, she said, I am not a chemistry major. We have not approached stabilizer levels yet. Next time I visit her I'll take my test kit and will likely talk myself silly some more. You can lead a horse to water and etc.

frustratedpoolmom said:
I hear you Anna.

To share my experience - when I was a noob - I balked at the thought of spending MORE money on some test kit - I tried to get by with the Wallyworld 6 way and managed to limp thru the rest of the summer. But I never had a full blown algae bloom... anyway, the following spring and my funds had recovered, when I opened to a clear pool and residual FC, I felt I owed something back to TFP and I became a supporter and ordered a kit. WOW. I was so surprised at how much more in control the test kit made me feel about the pool, no more guessing and hoping I was doing the right things. I do agree you can "get by" with the 6-way in some situations especially if you are just maintaining, but running into trouble - I don't personally think its good enough. Just my 2 cents on that. :wink:

Knowledge is power and unless you understand fully where your numbers are you are only guessing.

Right. There's understanding the numbers on a theoretical level, understanding the chemistry, and then there's understanding your own pool. Each pool is different and each environment in which is sits is unique. This is why I refer to my pool as a living, breathing system. No, I haven't yet gone so far as to ascribe it a soul :)

The important thing to me is learning how my pool behaves under a variety of conditions. That took a couple of seasons. Now I'm at a point where I can forgo testing for a few days such as during these never ending recent rains and just throw in 4 cups of LC every other day. I knew the water balance would be off but I also knew that I could fix that easily once the rains stopped.

I mix in bleach additions by brushing the bottom of the pool with my Wall Whale. It has terrific agitation action, I can shove large amounts of water against the steps and, hence, under and inside them, and what algae there might want to start get stirred up and exposed to the new bleach. I made a SWAG that my FC was running at around 5 with this method and given the rather large volumes of water exchange that were going on, and guess what? This morning's test read 5.5.

Understanding the chemistry and knowing your pool can get you by for several days. It's not rocket science.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.