OMG forgot everything I learned 3 years ago

Jul 7, 2014
dallas ga
well I am back to TFP because last time was so much fun! I have now neglected my swamp for three (yes 3) years. It has been covered. I have not uncovered and cleaned it up because I have been dealing with a sick mother in CA and back and forth from GA to there.
So now I am here in Georgia to clean up the swamp and sell the house.
I know I have to go to Pool School to get re-acquainted.
I also know SLAM comes first.
That is all I remember.
Wanted to ask is there just a replacement kit I can buy, replacement of chemicals I mean.
I bought this 3 years ago:

Taylor Service Complete Pool Water Test Kit K-2006C
I would like to just buy the replacement chems.
Thanks for any and all help

Re: OMG forgot everything I learned 3 years ago

Assuming you are going to SLAM the swamp rather than drain it you will probably want to get an extra bottle of the R-0871 and possible extra R-0870 as well.

Is it this:
R-0871-A Fas Dpd Titrating- .75 oz.
test
SKU: TTR0871A
PPOL Price: $9.93
Sale!: $9.03
Usually ships within 1 - 2 business days
Condition : New
and this:
DPD Powder, 10 Gms. R-0870
$15.99

Great!
Now where is everyone getting Diatomaceous Earth?

- - - Updated - - -

I read about the SLAM and it does not mention the boxes of Borax 20 Mule Power I added last time. Remembering buying 2 carts worth of the stuff. When does that come in?

I buy mine at the same pool store that sells me bleach and acid in returnable jugs.

Check out in the garden area at Lowes or Home Depot. They usually have some pool stuff, including last years' pool chlorine (expensive salt water now)

updated: Borax is used to raise pH. If you don't need it don't buy it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Hi Folks. Taking the cover off in a day or two. Hopefully (it requires catching a few guy neighbors home at the same time in the evening)
Is it the SLAM that comes first?
Just hit it with chlorine until the pool clears up? Wish I would have taken notes last time :cry:

Hi Folks. Taking the cover off in a day or two. Hopefully (it requires catching a few guy neighbors home at the same time in the evening)
Is it the SLAM that comes first?
Just hit it with chlorine until the pool clears up? Wish I would have taken notes last time :cry:
No, first you get the water circulating, then you test. Because you need to know the pH and the CYA levels before a SLAM anyway. High Calcium may make you decide to replace some water and vacuuming to waste removes any debris as well as water. And you need to know TA to calculate acid dosage should the pH need to come down.

No, first you get the water circulating, then you test. Because you need to know the pH and the CYA levels before a SLAM anyway. High Calcium may make you decide to replace some water and vacuuming to waste removes any debris as well as water. And you need to know TA to calculate acid dosage should the pH need to come down.

Thanks Richard! Cover off today. Stupidly forgot to order the kit. Did it tonight so hope to have it by Wednesday. Appreciate your help. I will be back!

Hey there folks. Cover off for a few days. Got sick and took a couple days off. Plan to start swamp in the morning.
Hoping I have this right and asking for any input.
Take out all plugs, fill water to above skimmer and then run pump.
Check CYA levels and SLAM by and then add Chlorine until the CYA levels corresponds on this chart
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
Please correct me if I am wrong?

Hey there folks. Cover off for a few days. Got sick and took a couple days off. Plan to start swamp in the morning.
Hoping I have this right and asking for any input.
Take out all plugs, fill water to above skimmer and then run pump.
Check CYA levels and SLAM by and then add Chlorine until the CYA levels corresponds on this chart
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
Please correct me if I am wrong?
Check all the levels, not just CYA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.