OMG forgot everything I learned 3 years ago

Here is the chart for you. I have it printed out to help me remember.

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

You will notice the CYA and FC do not really coincide. Use the CYA level you were aiming for when you added the CYA as your current CYA as it will be that when your sock is empty and water mixed up good.

Kim:kim:

Thanks Kim

- - - Updated - - -

YAY! I have CYA!
PH 7.2
FC 4.5
CC 0
CH 25
TA 80
CYA 30

Cannot find DE at Home Depot or Lowes. Not the pool kind anyway.
Might try Leslie's next.
Pool is blue and very cloudy

Added Chlorine and just now got a reading of 12 for Chlorine
Will be checking again in the AM

Here is a link to the what the box looks like at Lowes:

Shop Clorox PoolSpa 24-lb D E Pool Filter Aid at Lowes.com

It is a fairly big box but very light. I wish they would sell it in smaller boxes as I cannot tell that I have even used any and I bought mine 3 yrs ago! LOL

I like how your numbers are looking! Now it is up to your filter! Keep the FC high and brush often to keep all of the stuff up in the water to give your filter a chance to clear it!

Thanks Kim
When I called Lowes yesterday I must have spoken to someone who was unfamiliar with the pool products.
Thanks to your link I have found it at the local Lowes, says it is in stock.
Massive amounts of rain last night.
After this much needed cup of Joe I am off to scoop the leaves, backwash, check numbers and then go to Lowes.

I would only add 1/2 cup to start with. Watch your pressure gauge closely. IF it spikes quickly shut the pump off and do a back wash. IF it does not move the pressure then add 1/4 cup more. Add 1/4 cup until you get a slight pressure increase. Keep a close eye on it. Some filters like 1/4 cup total, some like 2 cups.........let YOUR filter tell you how much to add.

You do not need to back wash until your pressure goes up 25% of your clean pressure. When you do the 25% increase back wash add back in the amount of DE your filter likes and do it all over again!

Kim-I added a cup after posting and re-reading Digitals original post regarding it. Within 45 minutes my pressure had gone from 10 to 15. I back washed at that point. My clean pressure seems to be 10-11 ish.
Got called away today for an emergency job thing today and just home. Pool looks clearer already. Did not get to check my numbers this morning to see if I passed the overnight thing.
Will do it tonight.
So if I have the water at slam level and it stays that way overnight, I have successfully completed the SLAM?

Kim-I added a cup after posting and re-reading Digitals original post regarding it. Within 45 minutes my pressure had gone from 10 to 15. I back washed at that point. My clean pressure seems to be 10-11 ish.
Got called away today for an emergency job thing today and just home. Pool looks clearer already. Did not get to check my numbers this morning to see if I passed the overnight thing.
Will do it tonight.
So if I have the water at slam level and it stays that way overnight, I have successfully completed the SLAM?

Good morning Chanelvaps!

I'm glad to hear you are finally making progress!

How did the overnight chlorine test go?
Do you have any updated pictures to share?
Are you keeping the FC still at shock level? (Shock level for CYA 30 is FC 12)
Do you still have the CYA socks in the pool? (If so, go ahead and take them out)
Can you post a new updated set of numbers? (I'm thinking CYA might have gone up now that the water has mixed well.)

Keep brushing and adding chlorine when necessary. This is the #1 way to get the pool clean the quickest way.

It also sounds like the DE is working well for you too! It seems to be hit or miss for some people, that is why it is not always suggested as a solution.

OK alright finally got done with other stuff and able to check in.
Numbers are the same
12 FC at night.
Down to 4.5 the next day.

PH 7.2
FC 4.5
CH 24
TA 70
CYA 35
New sock in today and am hoping to get the CYA to 40. Some cloudiness but not nearly as much.
Wondering if I should try to clear up the last of the cloudiness (with either clarifier or more DE) or just continue to work towards maintaining same FC level overnight?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK alright finally got done with other stuff and able to check in.
Numbers are the same
12 FC at night.
Down to 4.5 the next day.

PH 7.2
FC 4.5
CH 24
TA 70
CYA 35
New sock in today and am hoping to get the CYA to 40. Some cloudiness but not nearly as much.
Wondering if I should try to clear up the last of the cloudiness (with either clarifier or more DE) or just continue to work towards maintaining same FC level overnight?

Absolutely keep using the DE. Everytime you backwash, add another cup of DE to the skimmer. And yes, you still need to hold FC at 16 overnight. Since your CYA is now 35, you need to maintain your FC at CYA 40 levels. 16 (Shock Level) and FC 5-7 for normal operations.

So,
Step 1: Get FC to 16
Step 2: Maintain FC 16
Step 3: Add 1 Cup DE to skimmer
Step 4: Brush Brush Brush
Step 5: Watch Filter Pressure (Backwash at 15psi)

Is there any viable debris on the floor of your pool? If so, vacuum out. Any leaves or other debris will consume some FC.

--------Edited---------
If this was my pool, I would go ahead and pull out the sock. The reason is you have already put in enough stabilizer to raise CYA to 40 and maybe even a bit futher. CYA could take up to a week to register in a test. So I would pull out the sock, assume CYA of 40, and test CYA again this time next week. You can always add it in later, and it is much easier to add than remove.

Last edited:
Hey there folks,
Thanks Kim and Digital.
Babysat all day yesterday and was exhausted by 7pm when checking the pool. Did not read the above until this morning
That being said I went to bed with the pool at its usual resting place of 12 and woke up today to 4.5 (FC)
I just followed Digitals advice and pulled the sock.
I brushed.
I brought the chlorine up to 16.
I added another cup of DE to the skimmer.
I am going back out in 45 minutes to backwash.
I will make sure the chlorine is at 16 before bed and check it again in the morning.
No debris on bottom. I can see the drain fine. It is still cloudy but not really bad
PH 7.2
FC 4.5
CH 25
TA 80
CYA 35

YAY!:cheers::rockon::lovetfp:

FC 16 last night
FC 16 this morning!

Still a little cloudy, going to do the DE routine while here today a couple of times.
Had a fellow TFPer that lives close come by and see. Nice to put a face with a name.

So now I let the Chlorine float back down to normal range 3-7?

YAY!:cheers::rockon::lovetfp:

FC 16 last night
FC 16 this morning!

Still a little cloudy, going to do the DE routine while here today a couple of times.
Had a fellow TFPer that lives close come by and see. Nice to put a face with a name.

So now I let the Chlorine float back down to normal range 3-7?

Wahoo! Congrats! Hold the FC at 16 until the pool completely clears. Shouldn't take but another day or so. The DE will definitely help to clear it up faster. Have you had to backwash daily? Just be sure to replenish the DE when backwashing.
Keep brushing (even though you don't think you are doing any good) because you are keeping the water stirred up, which will help those smaller particles find their way to the filter.

Keeping it at 16 but cheated tonight and added clarifier.
The DE was done about twice a day, back washing after an hour each time once the pressure got to 15.
Problem is I cannot stay and home and babysit this pool. Just need it to be clear so perspective buyers see it up and running.
Hoping it looks clearer tomorrow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.