OMG forgot everything I learned 3 years ago

Reading this under SLAM:
SLAMing an outdoor pool is most effective when CYA is around 30 to 40. Below 30 you lose too much chlorine to sunlight. As CYA goes up, SLAMing requires more and more chlorine, which starts to get impractical around 80 or 90. With CYA above 90 we recommend replacing water to get CYA down before you start the SLAM process.

Do anyone think I need to let the CYA in sock dissolve before I add more chlorine?

You were supposed to adjust pH before you started dumping in bleach, because the test is inaccurate if Fc is above 10.

I suggest you let the FC drop below 10, you check and fix your pH, and then you go back to 10 FC which is shock level for below 30 FC. When the sockful is dissolved, go up to 12 FC.

You should not stop completely or the algae will just rebound and all the chlorine you've added so far has been for nothing. `

You were supposed to adjust pH before you started dumping in bleach, because the test is inaccurate if Fc is above 10.

I suggest you let the FC drop below 10, you check and fix your pH, and then you go back to 10 FC which is shock level for below 30 FC. When the sockful is dissolved, go up to 12 FC.

You should not stop completely or the algae will just rebound and all the chlorine you've added so far has been for nothing. `

thanks. Going to lower PH first thing this morning and then add another sock full of stabilizer. Massage the other one. No chlorine. Hope I am heading in the right direction

Re:  OMG forgot everything I learned 3 years ago

Hey neighbor. :wave:

Have you taken a look at the SLAM article? Here is a link to it: Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Maybe that will help as a reminder...
If not, that's okay!!

Post your questions and we'll be here.

Which test kit? K-2006 or TF-100?

Sorry meant to answer this. Kit is a TF-100. New. Thanks for your help neighbor!

Do you have a pool leaf rake? It looks like a rectangular net but it's deeper IMG_0537.jpgto hold debris. Makes getting stuff off the bottom, much easier. You really don't want to vacuum big stuff into the filter. You could do vac to waste but really, you want to remove it rather than vacuum it.

What is your CYA? That number is how you decide what your FC needs to be maintained at. Use that rake to make sure there isn't anything hiding on the bottom. Any leaves or debris will consume the FC that you are trying to get working on the algae.

Good news about the blue.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
PVC air leak fixed last night. Water filtered through the night. Just vacuumed. Pool is looking better. Less cloudy and blue rather than green
Numbers are:
FC .05
PH 7.2
TA 100
CH 25
CYA 0
Darn CYA seems to not be ever changing. Can I just dump some in the skimmer basket?

Hi Mike
I was beginning to feel like I was on a desert island. Thanks for the response. I have added about 3/4 of a 5lb bottle from Home Depot. Added it in 2 different socks and I feel it is mostly all dissolved by now. Maybe a little left in them. I guess I need to buy and add another? I have also replaced a lot of water as I am vacuuming to waste a lot.

Yeah I'd get another 5 lbs , add half of it, check the level in a few days then add the rest if needed. Seems like you should be showing 10 with what you've added even with vacuuming to waste. Are you keeping the chlorine level up?

Hi Mike
Yes I keeping the chlorine up. I think I am anyway. In the morning it always shows very little but I always add more and get it up to 10. Should I being doing this twice a day? Morning and evening?
OK going to add another 5lbs today. Same way? In the sock? Is there any other way to add it?

Hi Mike
Yes I keeping the chlorine up. I think I am anyway. In the morning it always shows very little but I always add more and get it up to 10. Should I being doing this twice a day? Morning and evening?
OK going to add another 5lbs today. Same way? In the sock? Is there any other way to add it?

Chanelvaps,
The more often you can test the water, the better. If you are consuming that much FC throughout the day, the algae is likely consuming the chlorine rather quickly, hence most of the day there is little to no chlorine to kill off the rest of the algae. Ideally you need to check the chlorine every 2 - 4 hours and add additions then.

How is the filter pressure? Do you know what the normal pressure is? When it rises about 25% you need to backwash.

On the CYA topic, you should add about half of another 5lb. It can take up to a week for the CYA to register. Just assume your CYA is 10 and go from there.

Hey Digital
That was more feedback than I have got in a week and THANK YOU so much for chiming in.
Just replaced the pressure gauge. It is usually at around 11-12 when it is running normal. I am back washing 2-3 times a day but I am not sure what it is at when I backwash because I do not think the gauge was correct before now. I will watch it more carefully and report back.
I will test 3-4 times a day going forward and make sure my FC stays at a corresponding level with 10 CYA. I will also add more CYA today.
GREAT help and thanks again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.