Opening, but waiting for SWG, and filter cartridge question

kplb4

Jun 14, 2012
East Tennessee
After accidentally draining half the water mid-winter, I refilled the pool, vacuumed to waste, and added dichlor shock, because it's what we had and I knew it would need more CYA. The water went from pond green to a lovely light blue, but there's a whitish cloudiness to the water. I haven't actually SLAMMed the pool or done an OCLT yet because I haven't made time to go to the store and schlep home lots of jugs of bleach.

I am having a SWG installed in two weeks. I'm still reading about pool life with a SWG, but my understanding is that the chemistry balance is a little different. I expect I should go ahead and SLAM the pool, but what should I do with the chemistry between now and the installation?

Also, how do I know when to replace the cartridge filters...the ones I have are 6 or 7 years old, and they are not spraying clean any more. I think it's time... The cloudiness could be a filtration problem, I suppose. And is it ok to order off-brand ones, or will I be better off with Hayward?

FC 2.5
CC 0
pH 7.2
TA 60
CH 60
CYA about 30?

Run your pool as a bleach pool until the SWG is installed. If your CYA is 30, that's perfect for a SLAM. Your pH is already there, so jugs away!

Raising CYA and adding salt and all the rest is eeeeeasy when the pool is clear. It's just a matter of pouring stuff in. Even being very patient and waiting between additions and all that it can still be set up in an afternoon. Once it's clear, remember.

I don't have a cartridge filter, so I can't comment on lifespan. If it was me, I'd wait until after the SLAM to replace them. Or at the tail end of it. I'm sure someone who knows will be along to answer that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.