New Pool Owner-Ready!

Hey all

So my wife and I bought our house 2 years ago and while it was nice to see it had a pool, we had no experience in maintaining it. House was bought in late September and we closed it right after (New Jersey). Opened it last year and boy was last summer a struggle. We ended up getting it cleared after maybe 10 days using the dreaded "powder" that I've been reading about. Since this was our new home, we have no idea how the previous owner maintained it (if any at all). Before stumbling across this wonderful website a few days ago, I had already started my "shocking" process and wow, have I been doing this wrong. See below for a summary of the specs and what I'm working with.

Pool is 16x32 in ground, 20,000 gallons, no SWG. 7.5 foot deep end, 3.5 shallow end semi-rectangular shaped.
Replaced the filter with new sand last year (at the advice of pool guy)
2-hp motor (been told this is powerful for my size)
Hayward sand filter

I have the k-2006 Taylor kit

pH: 7.2
TA: 80
FC: 24
CC: 0.5 (I think it's 0.2)
CYA: 100
CH: 280

Based off my limited knowledge, I that the higher the CYA, the higher I need to keep the FC during my shocking process. I put maybe 15-20 pounds of powdered chlorine in in the past 5 days. The pool is clearing.

The reason why I'm here is I want to switch the way I take care of my pool. Now knowing what I have done already, how should I go about the rest of the summer? Since I just put all that chlorine in, do I get it clear that way and then switch over to bleach? I know I will have to drain some of the pool to get my cya down. Do I start over now by draining the chlorinated water (at 24FC) which means I start over using the bleach?

I also have some staining from last year where I couldn't get my metals under control. I tested my metals this year and have 0. I also tested my hose water to make sure that didn't have metal for some reason and that came back 0. I know using stain remover requires the chlorine at low levels so should I focus on getting the pool right and then removing the stains?

What is the best bleach to get? A link would be great. I'm assuming unscented and the largest possible that is at least 6%.

I've read pool school and many other articles/posts already and I'm learning so much. I know this is a long post but I'm looking forward to everything and anything else I can learn.

Matt

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

As to the bleach, any plain unscented "concentrated" bleach. That should be 8.25%.

Now the bad news, 100 is the limit of the CYA test, so at this level we are unsure if it is 100 or some number above 100. Don't equate “just a little over 100” to a number, the tube is not marked for such extrapolation. Trying to SLAM Process a pool with 100+ CYA is next to impossible due to the massive amounts of bleach you need.

At this point I would recommend at least a 33% water exchange to get the CYA down. For vinyl lined pools leave at least one foot of water in the shallow end to keep from floating the liner and all pool owners are cautioned that in areas with a high water table lowering the water too much can “float” the pool out of the ground.

For now you have a homework reading assignment. Start with ABCs of Water Chemistry and Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

Thank you for the welcome! I feared that I would have to drain so I will start on that right away.

Has anyone had any success on ordering their bleach online? Was thinking about ordering in bulk from Walmart or Amazon.
Don't. Bleach has a shelf life. You want to buy it from someplace that has a rapid turnover, like Costco or Walmart or whatever is in your neck o'the woods. Somebody just posted something about a sale at Menards. If they're nearby, it would be worth checking. If you see a smoking deal somewhere, check the date. Chlorine Date Code Decoder/Easy Way to Measure Strength.

Just an update today. Overnight last night I drained about 10% of the pool and refilled. Today after work vacuumed to waste and got rid of another 15% and now refilling again. Overnight hope to do another drain of 15% and refill.

Quick question...should I be starting the process of slamming? Remember the past week I spiked the fc level to 25 with the chlorine powder. The pools getting pretty clear. I will test my cya tomorrow to see how much it has changed.

Second question... should I take care of my staining issue now or after I start slamming? At this rate with the draining I can probably get the fc level down quite a bit so I can use the stain remover.

Thanks all!

Hey all. I just added 484oz (4 jugs) of 8.25% bleach.

my FC went from 1 to 20 and has stayed firm for the last hour. Going to eat now and check on it in a few hours. Anything else I should be doing?

water is really clear

fc 20
cc 0.5 (less than that I think)
ph 7.2
ta 80
ch 340
cya 80 (best I could do for now. After doing this and backwashing it should come down some more. Will drain more later tonight as I vacuum more to waste)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.