Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Missing tiles

1. Back To Top    #1

Missing tiles

I have lost a fairly large section of tiles around my pool this winter, about 30 6x6 tiles. I had a tiles person look at it (he does not specialize in pools). He said he would recommend having a pool contractor pop all of the tiles and plaster the area to coping. I have never heard of this. Any thoughts?

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Missing tiles

Not a good idea. The tile serves as a barrier to keep from getting a ring around the pool from the water.

Either reinstall the tiles the came off or remove and replace all the tiles - with tile that is designed for water lines freeze/thaw and outdoor applications.

There are several products that are used to adhere tile to the concrete and stay there.

I used a Laticrete product that is designed for wet locations and pools. Its like $50-70 a bag and they sell it at Dal Tile Stores. I can look up the specific
    product - but it has held up perfect in CT winters etc
    25k 20x40 Gunite w/ integrated Spa & Caribbean Blue Plaster, Curved Bluestone Coping, Deck Jets
    Pentair Easy Touch/Wireless, Sta-Rite Intellipro SRVS Pump, Intellibrite Lights, & Pentair IC40 Cell, Sta-Rite 450sf Cartridge filter
    Heated from Central Boiler - Outdoor Wood Furnace & Triangle Tube Max Heat Exchanger
    ColorQ Pro
    TF-100