Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filters and pumps and SWGs, oh my!

1. Back To Top    #1

Filters and pumps and SWGs, oh my!

Help! Just got a 20' above ground pool from family member, with no pump, filter, etc. I want a salt water pool and just need to know the basics of what I need to get started. Do I need a sand filter? Please respond like you're talking to a kindergartener. lol.
    Above ground, 20' round, 42" deep, Intex Ultraframe, not new, received from niece without pump, filter, vacuum, just the nekkid pool!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Filters and pumps and SWGs, oh my!

Welcome to the forum and I hope you find all the answers you are looking for.

I'm not familiar with the exact models for Intex pools but there are some basics.
    First look at the pool school link above and read about how to take care of a salt water pool. Everything in pool school is written in an easy to understand manner.

As for equipment you will need a pump and filter I would recommend the biggest Intex pump and sand filter combo (there are other Intex filters but the sand filter is less maintenance than the cartridge filter) for ease of hook up. You can get better equipment but it's not as straight forward to connect to you pool.
    Next is the SWG which again you can get as an Intex product.

If you study pool school you will be well prepared to take care of your pool.

Finally you will need a good test kit. Either the tft-100 or the Taylor kit. A test kit and understanding of the pool chemicals is more important than the pump, filter, and swg combined. So in other words get the test kit first, pump second, filter third, and swg as a luxury.
    Chuck-
    15x30 AG, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is AD Free and is funded solely by member support click here to help