New POOL's FULL...Pumps not working yet! Now what?

reallytiredteacher

LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2009
Southern Missouri
We are fixing to finish filling our DIY IG with 22,000 gallons of water and it's Father's Day so Nothings open and we're short a couple of elbows to finish the plumbing to the pump/filter. It will be functioning Monday afternoon.

The question is what should I do in the mean time? We filled 1/2 the water Friday eve. and now the other 1/2 is finishing now. I tested and got these numbers with the T-100 kit i ordered from TFP. We filled with the city hydrant. Should I put any chemicals in there or just leave it? Kids are going to swim in it this eve cause they've been waiting 3 weeks and there's no stopping them.

Chlorine less than .5
PH 7.8
CYA 0 (of course)

I know what to add and amounts to add from the pool calculator, but figure since I can't circulate them very much I should prob wait. Will the two fire hoses mix up a gallon or two of bleach enough when they put in the final foot or more of water? What about the CYA? Wait til the skimmer is running and hang the stabilizer in a sock? Have one of my kids drag a filled up sock around the pool with a pole? (They'd like that!!!)

I know someone has asked this question before, but I seach quickly and couldn't find it. We still have to finish backfilling with a wheelbarrow and I don't have time to browse this site.

WATER IN THE POOL....IT's a GREAT Day at our house!!! :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:

:nopic:

I'd put CYA in a sock, tie it up and let the kids squish it around while playing in the pool. Or you could get in and do it! 8)

In a 22k pool, one small jug of clorox mixed in each evening will probably work to hold off algae. Don't dump it straight in but rather mix it around.

I'm inclined to wait on the CYA. I'm not sure how acidic it is and I don't think it should be in touch with the liner for too long. Certainly, put it in as soon as your pump is running.

I wasn't really telling her to throw it in the pool and leave it there. I know when I do mine, I squish it while in the sock and never had a problem with it burning my hands or anything like that. I figured if the kids wanted to get in and play, giv'em the sock of CYA and let them manipulate it until it disolve into the water while they splash around.

I, personally, don't see an issue with it. :-D

THanks guys for all the quick info. I put a jug of Wal-Mart bleach in very slowly as the two firehoses put in the last thousand gallons or so. I waited on the CYA since the answers were mixed. Pump and filter will be running by tomorrow afternoon.

The pool is full and kids are swimming now. Pics will come soon and will include from ground break to completion. Right now I have Turkey Grit (used for backfill...scoop, rake, & shovel- OH MY!!!) from head to toe and I'm taking a shower so I can get in the pool for the first time. YipEE!!! :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.