Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New chemicals, start SLAM in rain?

1. Back To Top    #1

New chemicals, start SLAM in rain?

I got a new liner at the end of last season and need to add all my salt, CYA, start the pump, and SLAM. I'n what order should I do these things? Also it's raining all weekend and the water's a little cold (60-ish), should I wait to add anything until the rain stops/it gets sunny? Go ahead and start the pump?

I figure I ought to start the pump first then salt and at least some CYA before the SLAM. If I get a break in the rain I'll probably go start the pump at least.

Thanks for the suggestions you all are the best.
    27400 IG vinyl liner, Hayward t-15 SWG, Challenger/Pentair 1HP, Hayward S-210T Sand Filter
    Dolphin Nautilus, K2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New chemicals, start SLAM in rain?

No hurry on the salt. Add 30ppm of CYA and SLAM. Once done, then raise the CYA, balance the salt, and fire up the SWG.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

THANKS!

Follow up:
    Go ahead and start the pump and SLAM in the rain? We're getting up to 4" in the next 2 days, will that tank my FC? Should I drop my robot in before/during to get leaves out (not really all that many, a 2 gal bucket full, tops)? should I broadcast the CYA or sock?
    27400 IG vinyl liner, Hayward t-15 SWG, Challenger/Pentair 1HP, Hayward S-210T Sand Filter
    Dolphin Nautilus, K2006 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Rain does not typically influence the chlorine levels much at all. Part of the slam process is to remove any debris that's in the pool by whatever means you want. Use a sock as the CYA can stain the pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!