Dual Speed Pump. I need some advice.

abake

Apr 5, 2017
leesburg fl
I have a dual speed pump for my 30,000 gallon pool that I am meaning to hookup. It switches from .25hp to 1.5hp. Can anyone tell me if its better to try and run it 8 hours with 1.5 or run it longer at .25? at .25 im assuming it would need to be on a good portion of the day. Really what im wondering if what would be best on my electric bill.

A,

Each pool is a little different... You generally run a pump for three reasons:

1. To keep surface debris moving and being pushed into the skimmers. The more debris the more often you need to run the pump.

2. If you have a Salt Water Chlorine Generator (SWCG) you'll need to run it long enough to generate the amount of chlorine needed.

3. To circulate the water to ensure the chlorine is effectively distributed throughout the pool. Two or three hours per day is all that is needed for this to happen in most pools.

There really is no one answer that fits everyone.

There is no reason to believe the old myth that you have to have x turnovers per day. It is just not true.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Best for your electric bill is running the pump as little as possible ;)

Running on low move 1/2 the water for 1/4 the cost in power. So running on low for double the amount of time as on high would move the same water, but be 1/2 the power.

In reality, your pool pump only needs to be on for a couple hours in a day to circulate the chemistry. Longer pump run times are only need if you have a SWG that needs longer to generate sufficient FC, or you have solar heating, or if it is needed to keep the debris out of the pool.

You may find that the skimmer does not work well enough on low speed, so you might want to run on high for a period of time and then on low for a little longer. Generally the pump run time is driven by how clean you want your pool water.

And of course remember that preventing algae is more a function of chemistry than pump run time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.