Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New (to me) Pool Owner with Test Results

1. Back To Top    #1

New (to me) Pool Owner with Test Results

Good Morning,

I just purchased a home a few months ago that had a pool (built in 1990 if that matters). It's a 23k gallon gunite with a Hayward sand filter and Kreepy Krauly sweep. The deep end and tops of steps has some brownish stains - I believe these are organic because I placed a chlorine puck on one of the stains for a few minutes and it cleared up a in a circle. I found some pictures of the backyard from when the home was foreclosed on in 2012 and it looks like the pool was drained and left as a swamp in the deep end.

Since purchasing I have been running the filter 3 hours a day, sweeping weekly, backwashing monthly, and keeping the chlorine tab floater replenished with about 3 pucks at any given time. This has kept the pool fairly clean for the winter since we are not using it. I had the water tested a couple times from a pool store and they said everything looked fine.

Now that it has started to warm up in CA, I've noticed that it got a little cloudy, so I upped the filter time to 6 hrs/day. Then I found this great forum and figured I would check in here before going any further. Based on the advice here, I bought a Taylor K-2006 and just ran my first test:

CC - Filled tube to 10ML and put to .5 dippers of 0870 - turned pink right away
    FC - 4.0 PPM
    PH - 7.0
    Alkalinity - 80
    CH - 320
    CYA - >100 it was about 1/2 an inch below the 100 mark!!

Any advice on where to go from here? Also, will getting the chemicals all balanced right remove the organic stains on their own or will I need something different for that problem?

Thanks,
    Aaron

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New (to me) Pool Owner with Test Results

Welcome to the forum. You realize that every time you add a puck you're also adding CYA. Only way to lower you to a more reasonable 60 is to replace water. Then maintain your FC level in line with that per Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart. Ph needs to be 7.2 minimum. Pucks lower your PH as they are acidic as well.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

I didn't know about the pucks (or what CYA is for that matter) until coming to this forum a few days ago. I'll certainly be buying bleach now. Off to drain the pool now.
    '
    23k gallon gunite with Hayward sand filter, Kreepy Krauly sweep, Century 1.5hp single speed pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by ambrown307 View Post
    I didn't know about the pucks (or what CYA is for that matter) until coming to this forum a few days ago. I'll certainly be buying bleach now. Off to drain the pool now.
    '
    Do it while you can!

I started with CYA over 200 and water restrictions that wouldn't let me drain. It was a real PITA that first year.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok. So I just drained about 3/4 of the pool and have started refilling, which should take around 2 days. Should I be adding anything while it's filling, or just wait until it's full, test, and go from there?
    23k gallon gunite with Hayward sand filter, Kreepy Krauly sweep, Century 1.5hp single speed pump.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by ambrown307 View Post
    Ok. So I just drained about 3/4 of the pool and have started refilling, which should take around 2 days. Should I be adding anything while it's filling, or just wait until it's full, test, and go from there?
    If you're paranoid, you could add some bleach. Pour it into the fill stream and then brush things around a little.

I don't know that I'd bother. If the pool was otherwise healthy, it'll take more than two days to go green.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks Richard. Yes the pool was actually pretty healthy already - I just didn't want to start the summer with the CYA level as high as it was. Thanks again!

8. Back To Top    #8

Just to update - I was able to test after refilling and running the filter for about 20 minutes. Results look pretty good:
    FC: 1.0
    PH: 7.5
    AK: 140
    CH: 150
    CYA: 35

I assume at this point I just add bleach and maintain?

9. Back To Top    #9

Sounds like a winner. Monitor your daily Fc loss.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!