Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DE on bottom of pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

DE on bottom of pool?

I've been noticing more and more that there is what looks like sand depositing in areas of my pool. Also, if I brush an area that looks clean, a puff of debris kicks up, almost like a small cloud of sand. I've recently replaced 2 shredded grids and repaired a crack in my manifold with marine epoxy while I waited for a replacement manifold. I also had an algae issue that has been cleared up for about two weeks and my CC is .4 so nothing should be growing in there.

Some of my friends who are pool owners say that DE is inevitable in the pool and that it is to be expected. From the amount that I see, I think it's a little excessive. Is this a normal thing?
    20000 gallon/ Hayward Pro-grid DE6020/Taylor 2006/Hayward SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DE on bottom of pool?

DE in the pool is not normal.

What you're seeing could be residual in the pipes working its way out, and now that you've repaired the filter it will eventually get vacuumed up and stay gone.

Or you may yet have a small tear or crack somewhere that you missed.

If what you're seeing looks like dustbunnies that disappear *poof* when you approach with a brush, that's dead algae clumping. Low or no CC doesn't necessarily mean no algae. The way to be sure it's not algae is to run an overnight loss test.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

It's definitely not a dust bunny. The bottom of the pool literally looks clean from the pool deck, but if you brush it there will be a small poof of a cloud.
    20000 gallon/ Hayward Pro-grid DE6020/Taylor 2006/Hayward SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

I just noticed the same thing in mine. The pool had been drained for three weeks and I just filled it and noticed what I thought was dirt under the area of 2 pool returns. It was DE from the Pentair filter. It's not coming out now but seems to have come out when the filter was run once the pool filled up. I'll be keeping an eye on it.
    Gunite pool
    12000 gal.
    Pentair sand filter