Best filter type for rusty water?

abake

Apr 5, 2017
leesburg fl
Who here has rusty well water? I currently have a cartridge filter but have not gotten my pool up and running. I know rust will be a problem and I will have to clean and replace the cartridges a lot probably. Would I be better off eventually getting a sand filter? I know they are supposed to filter the least out of the 3 main options but they are easiest to maintain.

We have high levels of iron and I can tell you the best way to deal is to avoid the rusty water. I would look into trucking in water as it makes life SO much easier. From there, do all you can to avoid topping off with the rusty water. So how does this pertain to your question? Sand filters use the most water when cleaning. The common way to clean is to backwash them and that uses ALOT of water. I would personally avoid them. On the flip side, cartridge filters gets cleaned by hiding them down using really no pool water. Sure they may discolor some but I doubt they'll get damaged to the point of replacing.

Lastly, WELCOME TO TFP!

Depending on the type of suspended iron you have in your water a whole house green sand (potassium permanganate I believe) filter can be very effective at remove iron from the water. The downside is that its not a cheap thing to install or maintain. Iron is one of the hardest things to remove from water because it can come in many different forms all at once.

Another thing that some people say helps with iron in their water is using poly fill (pillow stuffing) in the skimmer basket. The iron tends to stick to the fill.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.