Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best filter type for rusty water?

1. Back To Top    #1

Best filter type for rusty water?

Who here has rusty well water? I currently have a cartridge filter but have not gotten my pool up and running. I know rust will be a problem and I will have to clean and replace the cartridges a lot probably. Would I be better off eventually getting a sand filter? I know they are supposed to filter the least out of the 3 main options but they are easiest to maintain.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best filter type for rusty water?

We have high levels of iron and I can tell you the best way to deal is to avoid the rusty water. I would look into trucking in water as it makes life SO much easier. From there, do all you can to avoid topping off with the rusty water. So how does this pertain to your question? Sand filters use the most water when cleaning. The common way to clean is to backwash them and that uses ALOT of water. I would personally avoid them. On the flip side, cartridge filters gets cleaned by hiding them down using really no pool water. Sure they may discolor some but I doubt they'll get damaged to the point of replacing.

Lastly, WELCOME TO TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply.
    Trucking the water in is not really an option for me. For 30000 gallons that will really cost a lot. My only option really is to find the most cost effective way to remove as much rust as I can.
    30,000 In Ground Pool
    Pentair Sta-Rite Intellipro VS-3050
    425 Square Foot Hayward Cartridge Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Depending on the type of suspended iron you have in your water a whole house green sand (potassium permanganate I believe) filter can be very effective at remove iron from the water. The downside is that its not a cheap thing to install or maintain. Iron is one of the hardest things to remove from water because it can come in many different forms all at once.

Another thing that some people say helps with iron in their water is using poly fill (pillow stuffing) in the skimmer basket. The iron tends to stick to the fill.
    Chuck-
    15x30 AG, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is AD Free and is funded solely by member support click here to help