Creating a sand/beach area next to pool? Anyone have experience?

abake

Apr 5, 2017
leesburg fl
Im currently refurbishing a pool and have started a bit on the fencing. My original plan was to just fence in the pool deck. But the the more I got to thinking the more I didn't like the idea. I live on 8 acres and have plenty of room to work with. If I just fence in the deck it will be a pretty tight space and wouldn't be great if I ever had a group of people over.

So I was thinking I would extend the fence out and create about a 500 square foot beach area and bring in some white sand. At face value it seems like a no brainer since I would now have all the space I would need and could now do all sorts of projects with that space. But I wanted to get peoples opinion. Especially people that may have done something similar.

Am I going to just be fighting sand in the pool non stop? I have a cartridge filter, will the sand make it to where I have to constantly replace the filters? The obvious answer to me would be to get a sand filter but I have a feeling it would build up with way too much sand over time and have to be emptied every other month. That doesn't sound like too bad of a trade off I would just like to not have to buy a new filter. Also what will that do to my pump over time? And I of course would have something like a foot bath for when I go from the sand to pool but sand will inevitably get in.

Anyones 2 cents would be appreciated.

I think it would be cool, but also a lot of headache. Sand in the pool would always be an issue, but a robotic cleaner would mitigate that somewhat.

But you'll also have to deal with animals digging in it (ie. cat poop) and grass and weeds growing up through it. If you do decide to go for it, I would recommend putting down some landscaping liner first.

And how do you plan to prevent washout around the edges. A border of some kind would help with that. Have you searched online to see what others have done?

As for the filter, I doubt you'd vacuum up enough sand in an entire season to be noticeable in a sand filter. Mine holds 175 lbs of sand. A few more scoops here and there wouldn't make any difference. I don't see where a cartridge system would be a problem either, other than maybe needing to be rinsed more frequently.

Yes I have 2 outside only cats so that is a concern. But im willing to try the cat repellent stuff. As for a boarder I was probably going to use 4x4 posts run along sideways. I know people who use copper sulfate on their lake beach once a year and it is pure white sand so I figured I would give that a try. But I know there will be some upkeep as far as weeds go. What im most concerned with is my chocolate lab rolling in the sand and getting in the pool over and over again lol.

I'm not familiar with copper sulfate, but I do know that copper in your water can cause green hair and stain your pool. This is the reason we advise against using algaecides containing copper. Perhaps someone here can comment as to whether or not that is a concern with copper sulfate as well.

This just sounds like asking for problems. Why do you want sand anyway? Other than a place for kids to play in a sandbox. It just will be getting in the pool and causing problems. The thing I like best about my pool vs going to the beach is the lack of sand. It's dirt, it's messy, gets into everything. Interesting idea, but for me, leave the sand at the beach, I try to keep dirt and sand away from my pool.

Nope and nope.............LOL not a good idea-the cats WILL get in it no matter what you put there. The dog will got eat the cat presents left THEN roll in it before jumping in the pool etc, etc, etc!

DO make the pool area bigger! LOTS bigger. Put in a basket hoop in the pool, put a seating area by the pool. Put fake grass all around for playing and running.

Kim:kim:

We have play sand next to the pool and LOVE it! Since we have a beach entry pool, sand was a must in our design to complete the look :). The Dolphin robot has no problem picking up the sand - so far. We don't have cats so can't comment on that. Oh, be sure to put the weed block on the bottom and special drain that catches the runaway sand so you don't clog your drain pipes. Here are some pics.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 333
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 318

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.