Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Creating a sand/beach area next to pool? Anyone have experience?

1. Back To Top    #1

Creating a sand/beach area next to pool? Anyone have experience?

Im currently refurbishing a pool and have started a bit on the fencing. My original plan was to just fence in the pool deck. But the the more I got to thinking the more I didn't like the idea. I live on 8 acres and have plenty of room to work with. If I just fence in the deck it will be a pretty tight space and wouldn't be great if I ever had a group of people over.

So I was thinking I would extend the fence out and create about a 500 square foot beach area and bring in some white sand. At face value it seems like a no brainer since I would now have all the space I would need and could now do all sorts of projects with that space. But I wanted to get peoples opinion. Especially people that may have done something similar.

Am I going to just be fighting sand in the pool non stop? I have a cartridge filter, will the sand make it to where I have to constantly replace the filters? The obvious answer to me would be to get a sand filter but I have a feeling it would build up with way too much sand over time and have to be emptied every other month. That doesn't sound like too bad of a trade off I would just like to not have to buy a new filter. Also what will that do to my pump over time? And I of course would have something like a foot bath for when I go from the sand to pool but sand will inevitably get in.

Anyones 2 cents would be appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Creating a sand/beach area next to pool? Anyone have experience?

I think it would be cool, but also a lot of headache. Sand in the pool would always be an issue, but a robotic cleaner would mitigate that somewhat.

But you'll also have to deal with animals digging in it (ie. cat poop) and grass and weeds growing up through it. If you do decide to go for it, I would recommend putting down some landscaping liner first.

And how do you plan to prevent washout around the edges. A border of some kind would help with that. Have you searched online to see what others have done?

As for the filter, I doubt you'd vacuum up enough sand in an entire season to be noticeable in a sand filter. Mine holds 175 lbs of sand. A few more scoops here and there wouldn't make any difference. I don't see where a cartridge system would be a problem either, other than maybe needing to be rinsed more frequently.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes I have 2 outside only cats so that is a concern. But im willing to try the cat repellent stuff. As for a boarder I was probably going to use 4x4 posts run along sideways. I know people who use copper sulfate on their lake beach once a year and it is pure white sand so I figured I would give that a try. But I know there will be some upkeep as far as weeds go. What im most concerned with is my chocolate lab rolling in the sand and getting in the pool over and over again lol.
    30,000 In Ground Pool
    Pentair Sta-Rite Intellipro VS-3050
    425 Square Foot Hayward Cartridge Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I'm not familiar with copper sulfate, but I do know that copper in your water can cause green hair and stain your pool. This is the reason we advise against using algaecides containing copper. Perhaps someone here can comment as to whether or not that is a concern with copper sulfate as well.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

5. Back To Top    #5

It would be in the sand I doubt it would ever get to enough of a level to do anything to the water.
    30,000 In Ground Pool

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

This just sounds like asking for problems. Why do you want sand anyway? Other than a place for kids to play in a sandbox. It just will be getting in the pool and causing problems. The thing I like best about my pool vs going to the beach is the lack of sand. It's dirt, it's messy, gets into everything. Interesting idea, but for me, leave the sand at the beach, I try to keep dirt and sand away from my pool.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, H400 & Heliocol Solar, Dolphin S-300, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit, Smart Home/Alexa pool control

7. Back To Top    #7

Leave the beach at the beach!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

How about a beachy area 'near' the pool and some astroturf type stuff between? You would get the same 'feel' of the beach, but with a place for the sand to collect that could be shopVacd!
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

9. Back To Top    #9

Nope and nope.............LOL not a good idea-the cats WILL get in it no matter what you put there. The dog will got eat the cat presents left THEN roll in it before jumping in the pool etc, etc, etc!

DO make the pool area bigger! LOTS bigger. Put in a basket hoop in the pool, put a seating area by the pool. Put fake grass all around for playing and running.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

We have play sand next to the pool and LOVE it! Since we have a beach entry pool, sand was a must in our design to complete the look . The Dolphin robot has no problem picking up the sand - so far. We don't have cats so can't comment on that. Oh, be sure to put the weed block on the bottom and special drain that catches the runaway sand so you don't clog your drain pipes. Here are some pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    May 2015 completed- 50'x30' beach entry(26'), two 50' swim lanes, diving board, jump rock, 4'-9.5' depth, 40K+gal salt water, Pentair,Screen logic 2 mobile for intellitouch., intellichlor and intellichem automated system. Jacuzzi JLX cuz we rarely used the last in ground spa :)

11. Back To Top    #11

Wow that looks wonderful.

Ya know my outside garage cat does her business in a litter box. I have zero issues with cat poop. Just have the chore of dumping the cat box.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

12. Back To Top    #12

Wow that is absolutely beautiful and I love the water entry. Like I said I feel like I could get the cats to not go in there. My main worry is the cleanup aspect.
    30,000 In Ground Pool