Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SLAM FC Level Question

1. Back To Top    #1

SLAM FC Level Question

My fundamental question is whether the target FC for a SLAM (based on CYA) is a minimum or a maximum value? I've always viewed it as a minimum. Right now I'm slamming my pool with a CYA of 30 and the FC is approximately 18. The target is 12. Should I avoid going over 12?
    Also, I'm assuming I should go ahead and remove my pool light and scrub it? I've never removed it before during SLAMs and had success. It's installed incorrectly and doesn't have enough wire to reach the pool deck, so I avoid taking it out.
    The background: This is my second summer having a pool and I'm replacing the fence. I left the safety cover on while the fence was down, but my schedule had me opening a bit later than I wanted. I noticed under the cover the water (which had been clear) was cloudy and green-tinted, so I started running the pump 24/7 and added bleach to get to about 15-20 FC. Because of the cover I was not able to brush or run my pool cleaner. Now the fence is up, the cover is off, the green tint is gone and the water has cleared dramatically. My kids want to get in the water. In searching the forum, it was suggested that any FC below the target (12 in this case) is safe to swim in because it's buffered by the CYA. I thought the whole point of slamming was to exceed that value, so I've always slammed by treating that number as a minimum.
    20x40 IG Vinyl
    33000 gal.
    Taylor 2006 test kit
    Sand filter
    Aquabot Classic

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SLAM FC Level Question

It is neither a minimum or a maximum, but in fact a target. A little over won't hurt, but the higher you go the more possibility you have for damaging equipment or your liner. I would guess 10-20% over is probably OK, but right now you are 50% over.

Let it come down and try not to overshoot quite so much in the next addition.
    TFP Moderator

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

Support the site

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    It is neither a minimum or a maximum, but in fact a target. A little over won't hurt, but the higher you go the more possibility you have for damaging equipment or your liner. I would guess 10-20% over is probably OK, but right now you are 50% over.

Let it come down and try not to overshoot quite so much in the next addition.
    Solid advice.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks. I viewed it as a minimum, so I wasn't careful about how much I add, just that I keep it over 12. I guess laziness tends to risk equipment
    20x40 IG Vinyl
    33000 gal.
    Taylor 2006 test kit
    Sand filter
    Aquabot Classic