Intelliflo 011018 pump spit this out...

Jun 27, 2011
I was out at the pool pad today when the pump turned on and I heard an unusual random ticking/clicking sound coming from the pump while it was running. After about a minute, the unusual noise stopped and I saw a rubber part fall from the pump and roll a few inches across the concrete pad. The part is torn and clearly worn. I have looked at parts diagrams for this pump, but have been unable to identify the part (see attached pictures). Any idea what it is or where it goes?

Attachments

• 20170427_220631.jpg
    20170427_220631.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 104
  • 20170427_220645.jpg
    20170427_220645.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 104
  • 20170427_220718.jpg
    20170427_220718.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 104
If you saw it come from outside the pump while it was running I would bet its the slinger ring that goes on the motor shaft between the end of the motor and the seal plate of the pump. It's job is to stop any minor leakage from the shaft seal from following the motor shaft into the motor. It not on the pump parts list but if you look at the images of the replacement wisperflo pump motors at inyopools you can see that black rubber on the shaft covering the motor bearing on the pump end of the motor.

If you saw it come from outside the pump while it was running I would bet its the slinger ring that goes on the motor shaft between the end of the motor and the seal plate of the pump. It's job is to stop any minor leakage from the shaft seal from following the motor shaft into the motor. It not on the pump parts list but if you look at the images of the replacement wisperflo pump motors at inyopools you can see that black rubber on the shaft covering the motor bearing on the pump end of the motor.

CJ,

Since the pump and motor are basically one solid unit when bolted together, how could anything get out?

I went out and looked, and I can't even see an opening big enough for even water to get out..

A puzzle...

Jim R.

There is a cut out on the bottom of the motor flange, you wont see it when the pump is installed but you can clearly see it in the pictures of spare motors. This cut out again there to protect the motor from seal failure giving the water a place to escape so that it isn't forced into the motor. This cutout happens to be directly below where that rubber piece sits on the motor shaft.

There is a cut out on the bottom of the motor flange, you wont see it when the pump is installed but you can clearly see it in the pictures of spare motors. This cut out again there to protect the motor from seal failure giving the water a place to escape so that it isn't forced into the motor. This cutout happens to be directly below where that rubber piece sits on the motor shaft.

CJ,

It took a mirror and a flashlight but as you said there it was. That is a giant hole/cutout!!!

I knew they promoted you to TFP Guide for a reason.. :poke:

Thanks for the feedback..

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you very much for the information. That cutout on the bottom is exactly where the part came from. I was able to stick my finger far enough up in there (with the pump turned off of course) that I could feel the water slinger. Are you suggesting that this piece was probably right behind the water slinger on the motor side? Is there a bearing out there? I thought they were all inside the motor housing? Is this something that I should replace or just let it go? Wouldn't I have to pull the impeller and replace the water seal in order to get the new part on?

I don't really see where else it could have come from. The only way in there is up through the cutout on the bottom. It was definitely in there given the sounds that I was hearing and the fact that they stopped when the part came out. I did contact Pentair and sent pictures, but their tech didn't recognize the part. I also don't see the part in the parts diagram for this pump, however, the parts diagram does not break down the motor. It doesn't even identify the water slinger washer because it is part of the motor assembly.

In pictures of replacement motors, it doesn't seem to be there.

It might have come from the pump. If it's not leaking, I think that I would leave it alone.

What's the diameter of the hole?

I think he is asking about the diameter of the circular hole in the rubber piece. He's checking to see if it would fit on the shaft like I think it does. I'm convinced that's where that rubber piece came from but he isn't.

As for actions you should take, I wouldn't do much unless you see any signs of water leaking from that area where is cam out of. Even then because it isn't part or the pump parts diagram you probably won't even be able to find a replacement for it. You will have to separate the pump form the motor to even think of replacement.

What's the diameter of the hole?

0.75"

- - - Updated - - -

As for actions you should take, I wouldn't do much unless you see any signs of water leaking from that area where is cam out of... You will have to separate the pump form the motor to even think of replacement.

That's pretty much what I was thinking.

- - - Updated - - -

I think that it's either:

Part number ZBR44430 Frame 71 V-Ring kit or

Part number ZBR44440 Frame 80 V-Ring kit

http://www.pentairpartners.eu/productcatalog/pdf/EU2014/PentairCatalog2014_SPAREPARTS.pdf

It's the only part that is really in the right place. Too bad they don't give a better close up of this part.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.