Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TA doubled in a few weeks.....reasons?

1. Back To Top    #1

TA doubled in a few weeks.....reasons?

I'd been holding my TA down around 60-70 all winter and enjoying very stable pH, around 7.8. In the past couple of weeks my TA shot up first to 90 and now is at 120. The only things added to my pool in that time were liquid chlorine and MA, though I had just stopped using tricolor in a floater to raise CYA.

As the weather has warmed up we've had increasing evaporation and I've been topping the pool up about once a week (manual fill). My fill water TA is high at 180 but I've only topped off 2-3 inches, 2 or 3 times. By my maths, 2" in my pool is about 750 gallons or about 5% of my water....so I can reconcile maybe a 5-10 point rise each top up, but not as much as I'm seeing. I'm going to lower pH and aerate to bring it back down but want to check - is there anything else that can cause TA rise that quickly?

Rest of my numbers from measurement this evening....FC11.5, pH 8.2, CYA60, CH300.
    Graeme // 15k gal 29x15 geometric IG w/750 gal spa, Wet Edge Northshore Tahoe, travertine coping and decking, Clean & Clear Plus 420 sq ft cartridge filter, Intelliflo VS pump, 1hp water feature pump, Easytouch 8 w/wireless handheld, Racer pool cleaner, 400,000 BTU Max-E-Therm heater, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5G LED lighting, bubblers, pencil jets, TF-100 w/SpeedStir, Borates & Salt. Finished and filled June 2015!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TA doubled in a few weeks.....reasons?

Out of curiosity, did you get fresh refills for the test kit recently? There is a known problem with fresh bottles of R-009 getting static electricity which causes small drops which makes falsely high readings.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: TA doubled in a few weeks.....reasons?

Wow....I should have thought of that. The drops do seem smaller and I did recently change to a new bottle that I'd bought a while back. I just searched on the static buildup and will try wiping the tip. Thanks!
    Graeme // 15k gal 29x15 geometric IG w/750 gal spa, Wet Edge Northshore Tahoe, travertine coping and decking, Clean & Clear Plus 420 sq ft cartridge filter, Intelliflo VS pump, 1hp water feature pump, Easytouch 8 w/wireless handheld, Racer pool cleaner, 400,000 BTU Max-E-Therm heater, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5G LED lighting, bubblers, pencil jets, TF-100 w/SpeedStir, Borates & Salt. Finished and filled June 2015!