TA doubled in a few weeks.....reasons?

glo76

Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2015
Missouri City, TX
I'd been holding my TA down around 60-70 all winter and enjoying very stable pH, around 7.8. In the past couple of weeks my TA shot up first to 90 and now is at 120. The only things added to my pool in that time were liquid chlorine and MA, though I had just stopped using tricolor in a floater to raise CYA.

As the weather has warmed up we've had increasing evaporation and I've been topping the pool up about once a week (manual fill). My fill water TA is high at 180 but I've only topped off 2-3 inches, 2 or 3 times. By my maths, 2" in my pool is about 750 gallons or about 5% of my water....so I can reconcile maybe a 5-10 point rise each top up, but not as much as I'm seeing. I'm going to lower pH and aerate to bring it back down but want to check - is there anything else that can cause TA rise that quickly?

Rest of my numbers from measurement this evening....FC11.5, pH 8.2, CYA60, CH300.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.