Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Filter - cartridge or DE

1. Back To Top    #1

New Filter - cartridge or DE

I have had a cartridge filter for 18 yrs. Mixed results but most of my issues can be traced back to pumps or sweeps. I feel the cartridge has always done a decent job. I am getting a pool renovation and was considering a DE filter. Two of the PBs have recommended just upgrading to a newer cartridge filter - one that hold 4 filters. Mine is a Hayward using a C-120 filter. I was told it is too small for my pool - ~25K gallons (i think). I am curious what others think. I'd probably prefer the cartridge but I am just not sure.

Any opinions are appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Filter - cartridge or DE

Filter types all have their pluses and minuses. See: Pool School - Pool Filter Comparison

I agree your old filter was way too small. These are the minimum sizes I would recommend for a 25k pool in your climate with long pool seasons:
    Cartridge: 375 sqft (3 times the size of your old one)
    Sand: 29" diameter
    DE: 60 sqft although 72 sqft would be better
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

thanks, i wonder if my pool is really 25k. i got that number from someone long ago. i guess i need to figure that out

pool.jpg

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, you can not go too large on a cartridge filter ... just reduces how often you have to clean it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

yea. probably go with what i know

6. Back To Top    #6

I don't know much about DE but like the cartridge filter we have, only need to clean a few times a year and it doesn't take long.
    18x36 Vinyl, sports depth, 8' Roman steps at each end. Hayward 1.5hp 2speed pump, catridge filter, 2 skimmers, no main drain, 3 SR Smith Treo LED lights

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

I'm replacing my de filter with a cartridge filter soon. Granted, the de filter (36sf) was way too small for my pool (24k gal). But why mess around with the powder and wasting water backwashing if you dont need to.
    16x32 Concrete IG 24k Gallons
    Equipment: Carvin 525sf Cartridge Filter, Jandy Gas Heater, Vortex Solar Panels w/solar valve, 1hp Hayward Pump with 3/4 HP AO Smith 2 Speed Replacement Motor, Aquarite Saltwater Cell, Polaris 280 Dolphin Active 20 Robot
    Automation: Hayward Prologic Controller

8. Back To Top    #8

We're DE fans. I originally wanted cartridge but our pool guy talked us into DE. Glad he did. Seems to kind of polish the water, but could just be my imagination.
    30K, in ground, raised bond beam, w/attached spillover spa, chlorine, Pebble-Tec, Pentair FNSPlus 60 DE filter, 2 Jandy waterfalls, Intelliflo VS 3hp (filter), Whisperflo 2hp (spa jets), Whisperflo .5hp (water features), Sta-Rite 400K heater, a bunch of Jandy valves, a couple of automatic valve switches, 3 SAm lights, CompPool 3600 controller, Waterway Chlorinator (not used), Pool Vergnuegen, Pentair in-ground check valves ...

9. Back To Top    #9

We love our cartridge filter!! No back washing keeps cyanuric acid and salt content very stable.
    Chas & Cheryl (first-time, third-year pool owners)
    Radiant Metric Oval AGP 16'x32'x52"; Pentair: Clean&Clear 150 Cartridge, OptiFlo 1.5 Hp 2-spd, and 320C Feeder (all mounted below water level); Taylor K-2006 & SpeedStir; Maytronics Dolphin E10 (aka Einstein)
    installation pics (2015-2016)