Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Here We Grow Again (the algae talking)

1. Back To Top    #1

Here We Grow Again (the algae talking)

I have gone through the TFP process before and am sort of excited to do it again - is that weird?

My pump went out during Hurricane Matthew in October, so my water has sat since that time - enough said.

New pump, SWG flow switch, and refreshed T-100 reagents and I am ready to go. My numbers from today are posted below. This is after allowing the pool to circulate for 24 hours. I will be using the pool calculator to get info, but where should I start? pH? Thanks in advance! I will be sure to keep pics posted along the way!!

FC = 0
    CC = 0 (I tested this more than once as I know it cannot be true. Is pH throwing it off? Something else?)
    pH = 8.2+ (bright pink)
    TA = 70
    CH = 25
    CYA = 0 (tested twice, never lost sight of the dot; I did have to use a sump pump to drain quite a bit of water after the hurricane and ended up putting some back in there recently)

22,600 gal. Vinyl Inground, FNS Plus 60 DE Filter, WhisperFlo 1HP Pump, SWG, Dolphin Nautilus

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Here We Grow Again (the algae talking)

You want to use our PoolMath (not the old pool calculator.com which is not maintained).

I would get 30ppm of CYA dissolving, then lower the pH to the lower 7s, and SLAM away.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Got it on PoolMath - thanks!

Can I lower the pH while the CYA is dissolving?
    22,600 gal. Vinyl Inground, FNS Plus 60 DE Filter, WhisperFlo 1HP Pump, SWG, Dolphin Nautilus

4. Back To Top    #4

Absolutely, gets the socks of CYA dissolving, then go ahead and add the MA to lower the pH. Once in range you can start the SLAM assuming your CYA is at the target (even though it is still dissolving). If you massage the sock enough, you can get the CYA to dissolve in only a day or so.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Sounds good! I have some MA, but will pick up the CYA tomorrow. Thanks and looking forward to getting this thing back in line!

6. Back To Top    #6

Any thoughts on why the CC was 0? Is it due to the high pH?

7. Back To Top    #7

CC is a byproduct of the FC breaking stuff down. You have not put any FC in the pool. Plus CC just does not always show up just because there is algae ... which is why there are 3 criteria to stop the SLAM process
    Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

Post lots of pictures. I need a recent green-to-clean thread to add to Recovering my old inspirational links
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by SPKNout4CHRIST View Post
    I have gone through the TFP process before and am sort of excited to do it again - is that weird?
    I don't think its weird. I've been doing the Troublefreepool method since we built ours and never had any issues, but I REALLY want to try to fix a green pool at some point
    16.000 US Gal. w/Spa; freeform gunite; built 2015ish; Pentair Quad DE filter; 3 HP Pentair VS Pump; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns, 15 Gallon Stenner Tank, 45MHP2 3GPD Pump, Dolphin Triton Pool Cleaner. TF100 Test kit!

10. Back To Top    #10

Although we are several days past my "start", it is really day 2 of the SLAM as I have been adjusting the pH, cleaning the filter, etc. until now. I added bleach yesterday around 7pm and cleaned my filter grids just before that. See the before photo below of the grids. I was so anxious to get it all back together I forgot an after photo of the grids

I added enough bleach to get me to shock level. When I rechecked everything this morning the filter was due a backwash and the FC was at 6.5. I added enough bleach to get back to shock level and will recheck ASAP to keep it as close to shock as possible. As you can see below, the water turned into a nice teal overnight - and doesn't quite have that swamp smell any longer!

Morning Numbers:
    FC = 6.5
    CC = 1.0

Filter prior to cleaning grids

Steps Morning of Day 2 (12 hours in)

Deep End of Day 2 (12 hours in)

11. Back To Top    #11

Excellent!

Inside the ladder rails and beneath the rungs are common hiding spots for algae. Be sure to brush them. If you can pull the ladder out, even better. It's probably held in with a wedge, exactly like the gooseneck on your bicycle's handlebar.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Inside the ladder rails and beneath the rungs are common hiding spots for algae. Be sure to brush them. If you can pull the ladder out, even better. It's probably held in with a wedge, exactly like the gooseneck on your bicycle's handlebar.
    Thanks for the tip! I will be sure to get that cleaned thoroughly!

13. Back To Top    #13

Making progress! The filter is continually reaching its backwash pressure, so I have been keeping it backwashed and refreshed as much as possible. Keeping the FC up and brushing every day so far. I plan to vac either today or tomorrow to help get out some of the foreign objects! CC is remaining 1.0 for now. See updated progress pics below!

Steps at the End of Day 2 (24 hours in)

Deep End at the End of Day 2 (24 hours in)

Keeping a check on the numbers!

Steps Start of Day 3 (36 hours in)

Deep End Start of Day 3 (36 hours in)

14. Back To Top    #14

Update time! I can see the bottom in the shallow end and can start to see the bottom in the deep end. At least I can see what I am vacuuming now!

I do have a question, though. I noticed wrinkles (see pic below) in the shallow end. They were not there at the end of the summer. What could have caused them? Should I do anything to try and remove them? Thanks in advance!

Day 8 - Steps

Day - 8 Wrinkles/Shallow End