Salt Test Not Working?

Oct 2, 2016
Tampa/FL
I just got my Taylor K-2006 Salt Kit. I did the test with the speedstir a couple times and it seemed like it was not the best method. I couldn't tell when a drop turned it red vs brown. And it seemed to start the red too early.

Watched a YouTube video and he did it manually and it seemed to work well. I tried it and it turned milky quickly and even has a lot of white solids. But it never turned red after several drops like his. Just stayed milky.

All the reagents are current. Any thoughts?

I will see flashes of color as the drops are added, but that is where the SpeedStir helps to mix it and the color goes back to milky. Then eventually, BAM, all brown and it stays that way.

I will see flashes of color as the drops are added, but that is where the SpeedStir helps to mix it and the color goes back to milky. Then eventually, BAM, all brown and it stays that way.

Thanks. I called Taylor and they suggested diluting the sample and rerunning the test.

I took 10 ml of pool water and 15 ml of tap and mixed it. Then poured 10 ml into a 2nd tube and ran the test again.

It worked just like you described. My salt was pretty high - 5400 ppm. The previous week, the pool store told me it was 2900. I don't think evaporation can drive it up that much. I guess that's why we have our own kits.

So, next question is, which is more accurate? They use a meter versus in my kit the chromium/silver nitrate method. What is the expected accuracy of each, assuming you calibrate the meter regularly?

Usually, the meters check all chloride in the water, not just sodium chloride. They should be close, but drop kits are generally better.

Regarding the Taylor Salt Test Accuracy, one member claimed the accuracy is "10% of the measured value + 1 drop (usu 200 ppm). "

In summary:

-Taylor Salt Test= 5400 +/- 740ppm
-Chlorine Generator Reading (I forgot it can measure/display salt too)= 4600 ppm
-Lowballer Pool Store= 3400 ppm (uses meter) ppm (tests appear to show low readings for months)
-New Pool Store= 4400 ppm (uses meter)

Lessons Learned:
1. Compare your Chlorine Generator Salt reading to the store/home readings once in awhile, and always before adding salt.
2. Don't Trust your Pool Store readings, especially for Salt, CH, CYA and FC; in that order based on this experience.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.