Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt Test Not Working?

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt Test Not Working?

I just got my Taylor K-2006 Salt Kit. I did the test with the speedstir a couple times and it seemed like it was not the best method. I couldn't tell when a drop turned it red vs brown. And it seemed to start the red too early.

Watched a YouTube video and he did it manually and it seemed to work well. I tried it and it turned milky quickly and even has a lot of white solids. But it never turned red after several drops like his. Just stayed milky.

All the reagents are current. Any thoughts?
    15,500 gallon outdoor in-ground SWG 16'x30' plaster pool; 7' Raised Spa; Jandy 2.21 HP ePump VS Pump and JEP-R Controller; Jandy DEV 60 DE Filter;
    Jandy JXi 400 Gas Heater; Jandy Nicheless LED Lights; AquaCal Pool Pilot Nano Chlorine Generator; KrystalKrete Blue Quartz Pool Finish; Screen Enclosure w/ Travertine Pavers; In-Service Date: 01/17

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salt Test Not Working?

SpeedStir helps with the test. I have never really seen it go red and then to brown. Usually it goes from milky to brown with 1 drop. That is the end point.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Does it stay brown? Or keep returning to white?

4. Back To Top    #4

I will see flashes of color as the drops are added, but that is where the SpeedStir helps to mix it and the color goes back to milky. Then eventually, BAM, all brown and it stays that way.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    I will see flashes of color as the drops are added, but that is where the SpeedStir helps to mix it and the color goes back to milky. Then eventually, BAM, all brown and it stays that way.
    Thanks. I called Taylor and they suggested diluting the sample and rerunning the test.

I took 10 ml of pool water and 15 ml of tap and mixed it. Then poured 10 ml into a 2nd tube and ran the test again.

It worked just like you described. My salt was pretty high - 5400 ppm. The previous week, the pool store told me it was 2900. I don't think evaporation can drive it up that much. I guess that's why we have our own kits.

So, next question is, which is more accurate? They use a meter versus in my kit the chromium/silver nitrate method. What is the expected accuracy of each, assuming you calibrate the meter regularly?
    15,500 gallon outdoor in-ground SWG 16'x30' plaster pool; 7' Raised Spa; Jandy 2.21 HP ePump VS Pump and JEP-R Controller; Jandy DEV 60 DE Filter;
    Jandy JXi 400 Gas Heater; Jandy Nicheless LED Lights; AquaCal Pool Pilot Nano Chlorine Generator; KrystalKrete Blue Quartz Pool Finish; Screen Enclosure w/ Travertine Pavers; In-Service Date: 01/17

6. Back To Top    #6

Usually, the meters check all chloride in the water, not just sodium chloride. They should be close, but drop kits are generally better.

7. Back To Top    #7

Regarding the Taylor Salt Test Accuracy, one member claimed the accuracy is "10% of the measured value + 1 drop (usu 200 ppm). "

In summary:

-Taylor Salt Test= 5400 +/- 740ppm
    -Chlorine Generator Reading (I forgot it can measure/display salt too)= 4600 ppm
    -Lowballer Pool Store= 3400 ppm (uses meter) ppm (tests appear to show low readings for months)
    -New Pool Store= 4400 ppm (uses meter)

Lessons Learned:
    1. Compare your Chlorine Generator Salt reading to the store/home readings once in awhile, and always before adding salt.
    2. Don't Trust your Pool Store readings, especially for Salt, CH, CYA and FC; in that order based on this experience.