couple of questions on installing a new sand filter (positioning and fittings)

garybtru

Apr 24, 2017
Upstate NY
Hi all,

While I'm waiting for my TF-100 kit, I'm definitely keeping busy... I'm installing a new Hayward S244S filter, using my existing Pentair SuperFlo pump. The lines coming out of the ground only leave a little bit of room for the pump and filter on my concrete block... so basically it has to be like this:

moPY0LX.jpg

BQfK775.jpg

1) How strict is that "minimum clearance" part of the owner's manual? :eek: I could probably dig out a part of the lines where they meet the ground and get it all to come out another 1" or so away from the wall, if it helps any. It would be a big pain though - I'd have to probably replace the 3" pavers with 4" pavers, and buy an additional 1" concrete slab to sit under the filter.

2) Do I need to install a union ball valve on the waste port of this filter? It's a Vari-Flo Valve. For example, when I turn the valve to FILTER or CLOSED or whatever, will water not come out of the waste port? And will it only come out of the WASTE port when I turn the valve to WASTE, BACKWASH, or RINSE, etc.? I'm just wondering if I need to cap it for when it's not in use or attach a union ball valve to it. Or will this nylon 1 1/2" to nipple adapter suffice? (I have a roll-out 25ft waste hose thing)

uqzstPO.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:
I would be worried about the filter moving/vibrating during use and rubbing against that wall, weakening the filter housing in that area. Can't you swing the filter (in an arc centered on the pump connection) away from that wall?

What about using flexible hose at the pad?

Put a 90deg fitting on that waste port, and no, you don't need another valve, nothing should come out of that port unless the MPV is on backwash.

I would be worried about the filter moving/vibrating during use and rubbing against that wall, weakening the filter housing in that area. Can't you swing the filter (in an arc centered on the pump connection) away from that wall?

What about using flexible hose at the pad?

Put a 90deg fitting on that waste port, and no, you don't need another valve, nothing should come out of that port unless the MPV is on backwash.

Ah yeah, the rubbing from vibration would probably not be good. Thanks for the ideas! Rotating the filter away from the wall would do the trick but I'll have to install a 45º elbow on the return. That's doable though.

I don't understand what you mean with the flexible hose. For going from the pump into the filter?

And thanks for the info on the waste port. The old filter this house had didn't have a Vari-Flo valve.

I was thinking if you used flexible hose from the stubs in the ground to the pad it would give you more freedom on the pad.

Can you post another pic showing all the plumbing at the pad including the lines coming out of the ground?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.