Good deal on a pump too large for my pool?

Jun 10, 2015
Ottawa, Canada
Hi,

I might have to relpace my pump this year, was shutting off by hitself last summer with intervales that were reducing.
I was looking for a 1.5 HP variable speed pump, but was offered a really good deal on a 3HP intelliflow VS-3050 (half the price of a 1.5HP SuperFlo VS).
I know this would be wayyy too much pump for my needs, but price is veryyy good.
My pool is small, no water features, using 1.5 inches pipes and only 1 skimmer about 7 feet away from the pump (about same level as the pump)
I have a 200 cubic feet cartridge filter, heat pump and a SWCG.
Should I stick to a smaller pump(better fit) for 2 times the price of a pump too large for my needs?

thanks.

J,

There is almost no such thing as a variable speed pump that is "too" big. Instead of thinking of it as a variable speed pump, think of it as a variable HP pump. You only use the HP you want.

I have two IntelliFlo pumps at a couple of rent house.. both have 1.5" lines, SWCG's, and DE filter... and they work perfectly.

In my case, I can run the "too big" IntelliFlo, 24/7, for less than $20 bucks a month.

In my opinion it is the "Gold Standard" for pumps and you should not pass up on an opportunity to buy it at half price.

Two additional things... Never install a pump without pump unions.. they have an O-Ring on the threaded end and look like this.
dbtgallery.php

And with a SWCG, unless you have automation that will control the pump, you will have to use a time clock to control the SWCG and match it to the pump run times..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

I do have a pump union already. I do have a timer for my SWCG, but I keep my pump running 24/7 (2 speeds for now) to ensure proper skimming (I have a lot of trees).
So, you think it won't be an issue to go with this intelliflo VS.
It won't be an issue when it primes and having very high GPM into my cartridge filter? or heat pump? or anything else?

As a note, I have a 90 degree elbow right at the pump intake. After that it's straight to skimmer.

J,

Priming will not be a problem.. and, if you run 24/7, it will only have to prime once.

You can actually set it to prime at the speed you want, but it is not something that I have ever tried to set up, as it just does not matter.

It will work fine with a 90 at the pump, but if you can push the pump back, I would, and add a little straight pipe.

Thanks,

Jim R.

J,

Priming will not be a problem.. and, if you run 24/7, it will only have to prime once.

You can actually set it to prime at the speed you want, but it is not something that I have ever tried to set up, as it just does not matter.

It will work fine with a 90 at the pump, but if you can push the pump back, I would, and add a little straight pipe.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Deal was too good to be thru.
The pump was not an Intelliflo, but an older Intellipro without programming capability.
I want to be able to program speed, schedule run time and see the power usage (yes, I'm a bit geeky...)

So, now looking at an Hayward TriStar SP3200VSP and a SuperMax VS 343001.
Using the spread sheet calculator, the TriStar seems a lot more efficient than the SuperMax.
I also like that the TriStar can have its controller rotated the proper way.

Any comments on the TriStar SP3200VSP?
What is the main delta with the newer SP3202VSP?

I just installed a TriStar SP3202VSP a few months ago and couldn't be happier. The 3202 is the newer version that can be run by itself or integrated with an automated system. I believe the older 3200 version is a stand alone only version.

However, given that your pool is only 6600 gallons, you might be better off with the MaxFlo VS SP2303VSP. I installed this very pump for a friend of mine after I did mine and it does a great job as well. Her pool was nearly 17,000 gallons with no water features, so the MaxFlo VS was plenty of pump for her needs. the MaxFlo VS SP2303VSP is about $115 less online than the TriStar VS SP3202VSP. We paid $774 and $661 respectively with no tax or shipping and we even both got $100 rebates from our electric company (PGE). We're happy campers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.