Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG Start-up

1. Back To Top    #1
    West Hills, CA (Los Angeles County = no water)

SWG Start-up

My OCLT passed and I just ran a new set of tests. I will purchase my Salt in two days.

My readings / Water Balance for SWGs:
    FC 4 / 4-6
    pH 7.6 / 7.2-7.8
    TA 190 / 60-80
    CH 75 / 220-320 for fiberglass
    CYA 80 / 70-80
    Salt 400 / 3600 + 200-400
    Borates ? /30-50 ppm (optional)

Things I need to do:

First step is to adjust salt to the manufacturer's recommended range
    > I have to purchase 500lbs of Salt, which I'll do in two days

Second adjust CYA to between 70 and 80
    > Good

Adjust the SWG percentage setting or run time so your FC level stays between 4-6 ppm
    > No Salt yet

Adjust your Total Alkalinity to 60-80 ppm. (This is IMPORTANT!)
    > Can I start working on this today, since it will be two days before I get my Salt?

Adjust your pH to 7.2-7.8 and not any lower
    > Good

Adjust Calcium Hardness to 220 ppm for fiberglass
    > Can I start working on this too?

Borates
    > I'll skip because of "Concerns about risks to pets

Thanks for reading and any help!
    fat
    Patrick
    Gallons = 17K / IG / Fiberglass / Filter = Hayward DE-6000 / Hayward EcoStar Variable Speed / Pentair IC40 / 1976, I believe / Shape = "Kidney Bean"
    TF-100 / SpeedStir Magnetic Stirrer / Dolphin Nautilus Pool Cleaner / Wall Whale

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG Start-up

Yes to actively bringing down your TA right now.

When you add salt, do it in the shallow end and brush it around to help it dissolve. 500 lbs is going to take a bit. Run pump for at least 24 hours after adding salt to make sure it is mixed well before turning on SWG.

Now, CH... I will let others chime in as I am a plaster guy and CH is very important to us. Not sure how important it is to fiberglass other than how it affects your CSI.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, you are at your absolute minimum FC level right now. Bump that guy up with some bleach
    310 gallon Tiger River Sumatran Spa, covered, standalone, fiberglass, Bleach
    11,000 gallon in-ground plaster pool, Hayward SmartFilter 550 (cartridge), CompuPool(Hayward) T-15 SWG, Hayward Super II pump
    Taylor Test Kit K-2006C, K-1766, SampleSizer, SpeedStir, Polaris P825

3. Back To Top    #3
    West Hills, CA (Los Angeles County = no water)

Quote Originally Posted by Analogbytes View Post
    Yes to actively bringing down your TA right now.

When you add salt, do it in the shallow end and brush it around to help it dissolve. 500 lbs is going to take a bit. Run pump for at least 24 hours after adding salt to make sure it is mixed well before turning on SWG.

Now, CH... I will let others chime in as I am a plaster guy and CH is very important to us. Not sure how important it is to fiberglass other than how it affects your CSI.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, you are at your absolute minimum FC level right now. Bump that guy up with some bleach
    Thanks Analogbytes! Appreciate the tip on how to add the salt. Do you have a recommend speed the pump should run at for the 24 hours?
    Patrick
    Gallons = 17K / IG / Fiberglass / Filter = Hayward DE-6000 / Hayward EcoStar Variable Speed / Pentair IC40 / 1976, I believe / Shape = "Kidney Bean"
    TF-100 / SpeedStir Magnetic Stirrer / Dolphin Nautilus Pool Cleaner / Wall Whale

4. Back To Top    #4

I am a 2 speed pump, so high for me (=

You are looking for good circulation, so I would guess on the higher side for you. Maybe try 35,221 RPMs? (=
    310 gallon Tiger River Sumatran Spa, covered, standalone, fiberglass, Bleach
    11,000 gallon in-ground plaster pool, Hayward SmartFilter 550 (cartridge), CompuPool(Hayward) T-15 SWG, Hayward Super II pump
    Taylor Test Kit K-2006C, K-1766, SampleSizer, SpeedStir, Polaris P825