How long for CYA to dissolve?

jonmar

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 29, 2009
I just put about 3 lbs of CYA in the sock and dropped it in the skimmer. How long till the big ball of CYA dissolves? How long till I should do a test for CYA in my water?

jonmar said:
I just put about 3 lbs of CYA in the sock and dropped it in the skimmer. How long till the big ball of CYA dissolves? How long till I should do a test for CYA in my water?
That will depend on your water flow. Maybe one day, maybe two? Don't test for your CYA until about a week after it has dissolved.

I recently put a few pounds of granular stabilizer in a fine mesh bag and left it in my skimmer. It took almost two weeks to completely dissolve, in spite of a seemingly vigorous flow that had it tumbling around in there for more than six hours a day.

I recently added some. I put the sock in the skimmer first, but since I have my pump on low and only 50% of the water goes thru the skimmer, it wasn't dissolving very much after 24 hours. So I moved it to the return, and it dissolved within the next 24, the water flow by the return was much better.

Ditto, wait a week to test, but after 24 hours after it's done dissolving, assume it's in there. So if you added enough to target 50, assume your CYA level is 50 and adjust your FC levels according to the CYA chart.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.