Pool drinking chlorine like crazy!

Mar 19, 2017
FL
So my new pool is clean, looks good, but I'm just wanting to ask...
Should i be having to add half a jug of chlorine very few days? My fc seems to be getting close to 0 after about 2-3 days. Ph is 7.8-8.
I've added some stabilizer; however I'm not a fan of the stuff, any better options?
Pool is crystal clear, so there's that I guess ;)

Sounds right.

An 18' round pool filled 4' deep will hold about 7600 gallons. 1/2 jug of bleach adds 5.2 FC. If that lasts two days, that's pretty normal. If three days, that's really low consumption. It would be better not to let it drop below the minimum for your CYA, because if algae develops, you'd be amazed at how much bleach it will use then.

I wouldn't wait too long to add your routine doses of chlorine. I would suggest daily testing at first and always adding chlorine immediately if the testing shows your FC dropping below desired levels. You may find you're able to add chlorine every other day, but doubt any liquid chlorine is going to last much longer than that.

How are you set up for a *good* test kit?

Yip :flower:

Chlorine is a consumable, like gas in the car or food for the dog. What is consumed each day by the hot sun or by killing algae and bacteria must be added back. Most users here will add chlorine every day to maintain their required level. With a CYA level of about 40 you should keep about 4-7ppm of FC and never let it fall below 3.

The best way is to test about the same time each evening and add the required dose to get back up to target range. The key is to add enough so that by the same time the next evening you are still above your minimum of 3. Just be aware a lot of swimmers in the pool will introduce extra bacteria to kill and will increase your chlorine demand. If you add a whole bunch of chlorine at once the extra above your stabilizer level, it just quickly burns away.

You must have some stabilizer because without it, ALL your chlorine will rapidly burn away in the bright sun and warm water temps. A CYA level of about 40ppm is best for a pool subject to intense sun. The key is to not add too much. Tablets and granular shock get folks in trouble because they continually dose stabilizer into the water and it quickly builds up, gets too high and blocks the chlorine from working. Liquid chlorine bleach is the answer, it will not add anything but chlorine, water and a little bit of salt.

Accurate test results, regular dosing and a few simple daily chores will have your pool beautiful, clean and safe for the entire summer. A few minutes to test, dose and clean the skimmer basket, it takes about 5 minutes. Add a few extra minutes on the weekend to brush the walls and floor and the pool just stays crystal clear. Ignore it or try to shortcut and the green monster will come out. You will sweat, scrub, test and buy cases of bleach to bring it back. It's much easier and more fun to just maintain it!!

:goodpost:

Most important to what dsmith said, because it addresses your initial comments about not liking stabilizer, was having a correct and adequate level of stabilizer (CYA) in the pool. Too much is indeed a bad thing, but you need enough to help protect the chlorine from the sun. As long as you maintain a chlorine level that is appropriate for your CYA, you don't need to worry about having it in the pool.

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Stabilizer is a little high now, but still manageable. Use only bleach, no powder shock or tablets or it could become a problem.

Look over the above chart, with your cya at 60 you need to maintain chlorine at 7-9 with 5ppm being your bare minimum.

Start by testing each day, at 10ppm you are good for today, test tomorrow about the same time and see where you are. If the pool is 6-7ppm add enough chlorine to get back to 9ppm. If you test regularly, keep your chlorine above 5 at all times, brush the pool at least once per week you won't have much problem. It's very easy to test, dose, check the skimmer and clean the filter as required. Much more difficult to bring it back from green.

If you have a lot of people using the pool it will increase chlorine consumption and it may need to add extra chlorine. Any time you are in doubt, run a FC test. Once you get CYA, TA, CH set you don't really need to test those every day. You should monitor FC, CC and PH each day, as you get familiar with your pool some folks are comfortable enough to cut back testing to every other day and just add the routine dose each day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.