Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TFP - Current Chem levels?

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP - Current Chem levels?

Hi,

I have a 20x40 Gunite pool. I wanted to see if these levels are OK. I tested with the TFP test kit:

FC - 5
    CC - 0
    CH - 100
    TA - 80
    CYA - 50
    PH - 7.2

Thanks,
    Rich

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TFP - Current Chem levels?

Well what do you think about them? ... teach a man to fish and all that

You should really fill out your signature with pool info. I do not know if you have a SWG or not which would impact my answer.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi there Rich

You don't mention how you chlorinate your pool? Here is our guide for matching up your CYA to your FC: FC/CYA Chart

I would also suggest raising your CH (because your plaster walls need calcium in the water) to 300 ppm.

Your pH is fine... our suggested range is 7.2-7.8

TA looks fine

Hows the water look?

Yip
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi,

I updated my signature page (but dont see it here). I use bleach for chlorine & a stenner pump to dispense it. Following the pool math with a 40k pool it says i need 1540oz of calcium chloride (almost 100 pounds) - is that correct?

The water looks clear but its 58 degrees so I havent been in the pool yet (hot tub yes).

Thanks,
    Rich
    40k IG Gunite pool (47x21), Jandy iQ904-PS, Pentair 011018 VS Pump, Pentair 180009 FNS Plus Filter, Pentair 261152 Multiport
    Stenner Liquid Chlorine Dispenser - 30 gallon tank, Zodiac PB4-60 Polaris Booster Pump, Polaris 280 Pool cleaner
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

CH is too low. You might start leaching it out of the plaster. Repeat that test, and run it until it turns sky blue -- not indigo, not just changes color, all the way to sky blue. If it still says low, add some Calcium or switch to Cal Hypo to chlorinate for a while.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    CH is too low. You might start leaching it out of the plaster. Repeat that test, and run it until it turns sky blue -- not indigo, not just changes color, all the way to sky blue. If it still says low, add some Calcium or switch to Cal Hypo to chlorinate for a while.
    Hi

I tested the CH today and it's still about 100 to 125. I have a small bag of Cal hypo shock. I will plan to dump that into the pool but it seems that I'm going to need more than the half a pound bag that I have.

What what sort of calcium can I use? I assume not the rock salt that you use on a driveway?

Is there some sort of chlorine is bleach alternative to calcium?

Thanks

Rich
    40k IG Gunite pool (47x21), Jandy iQ904-PS, Pentair 011018 VS Pump, Pentair 180009 FNS Plus Filter, Pentair 261152 Multiport
    Stenner Liquid Chlorine Dispenser - 30 gallon tank, Zodiac PB4-60 Polaris Booster Pump, Polaris 280 Pool cleaner

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by RichTJ99 View Post
    Hi

I tested the CH today and it's still about 100 to 125. I have a small bag of Cal hypo shock. I will plan to dump that into the pool but it seems that I'm going to need more than the half a pound bag that I have.

What what sort of calcium can I use? I assume not the rock salt that you use on a driveway?

Is there some sort of chlorine is bleach alternative to calcium?

Thanks

Rich
    Either a Calcium Increaser or Chlorinate with Cal-hypo for a while.

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals talks about which chemical does what and how to add it.

It looks like (if your pool is really 40K gallons, which is huge) one pound of 73% Cal-hypo will raise FC by 2.2 and CH by 1.5 That will take you three or four months to add enough, so it doesn't look like a viable alternative.

Where you live, someone probably still has some de-icer for sale. You don't need the pool store stuff. Print out the relevant section from that article and start reading labels. Poolmath will help you calculate how much.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Either a Calcium Increaser or Chlorinate with Cal-hypo for a while.

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals talks about which chemical does what and how to add it.

It looks like (if your pool is really 40K gallons, which is huge) one pound of 73% Cal-hypo will raise FC by 2.2 and CH by 1.5 That will take you three or four months to add enough, so it doesn't look like a viable alternative.

Where you live, someone probably still has some de-icer for sale. You don't need the pool store stuff. Print out the relevant section from that article and start reading labels. Poolmath will help you calculate how much.
    Sorry to keep bugging you on this. I have two bags of ice melt that say they have Calcium Chloride:

http://scotwoodindustries.com/wp-con...2114_FINAL.pdf (SWI Icemelt) - No idea what % is calcium Chloride

Dow Peladow:
    https://www.amazon.com/Peladow-Calci.../dp/B00H4OWKEO
    https://images.hillyard.com/IMAGES/M...DSOSS601QT.pdf

The SDS sheet shows 91% calcium chloride but the only thing is while my bag logo & 'artwork' are identical, mine says DOW chemical & the newer bags seem to be made by a company called OXY. It looks like in 2011 they joined forces to form a new company. Why does this matter? I am guessing the bag I have is 5+ years old.

Any issues using this? Do I dump 50 pounds in at once or over the course of a few days?

Thanks,
    Rich

Here is a pic with the pool. BBQ almost done! http://i.imgur.com/hsej8EH.jpg

10. Back To Top    #10

Can't help with specifics. I've never had to add Calcium and I've never seen icemelt in a store. Where I live, it's rare we even see frost!

11. Back To Top    #11

Looks like the peladow is in the pool school chem link so i guess its oK. I will try 7 pounds to see how it goes.