Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Measure Gallons per minute?

1. Back To Top    #1

Measure Gallons per minute?

New Hayward variable speed pump and would like to measure the GPM of my system at various rpm's. Anyone know of a way to do this?

In-Ground Pebble Tec installed 2005/10,000 gallons/Magna Sweep cleaning system/RJ-30 Circupool SWG/Rock Waterfall/Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VS pump/Hayward Swimclear C3025 cartridge filter/Hayward H400IDL2 gas heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Measure Gallons per minute?

You'll need to know what your filter PSI is and your electrical usage (power) as well as a few other details about your system. Then you can enter them into this spreadsheet calculator that mas985 created -

Hydraulics 101 - Have you lost your head?

OR

If you happen to like plumbing work, you can add a FloVis flowmeter to your equipment pad and get an actual measurement.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

I like the idea of the Flovis meter. Got online and looked at installation videos. My issue maybe finding a long enough stretch of pipe (needs about 13-15" with unions). The only one that is close is the pipe coming out of the pump and going into the filter canister, it's about 13 1-2". I wonder though if this is a good place for the meter. I would think that it would be better to have it after the filter. I would think the water flow coming out of the filter would be lower, more accurate.

In-Ground Pebble Tec installed 2005/10,000 gallons/Magna Sweep cleaning system/RJ-30 Circupool SWG/Rock Waterfall/Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VS pump/Hayward Swimclear C3025 cartridge filter/Hayward H400IDL2 gas heater

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Measure Gallons per minute?

= volume of water coming out of pool
    =Volume of water going into pump
    =volume of water coming out of pump
    =volume of water going into filter
    =volume of water coming out of filter
    =Volume of water going into pool
    They are all the same since you don't have leaks in your system
    Granted velocity is different and pressure is different

For all practical purposes it doesn't matter long as you meet the requirements for installation, mounted horizontally with a certain inlet and discharge distances of straight pipe

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Teald024 View Post
    = volume of water coming out of pool
    =Volume of water going into pump
    =volume of water coming out of pump
    =volume of water going into filter
    =volume of water coming out of filter
    =Volume of water going into pool
    They are all the same since you don't have leaks in your system
    Granted velocity is different and pressure is different

For all practical purposes it doesn't matter long as you meet the requirements for installation, mounted horizontally with a certain inlet and discharge distances of straight pipe
    Thanks for the schooling on that. Not my strong suit!

6. Back To Top    #6

I also found flowmeters by Blue-White and Aquamaster USA. They are somewhat easier to install. Anyone have experience with these?