Opened pool Northern NY

May 12, 2014
Cadyville, NY
Hello I have been using TFP for a couple of years now and have to say how happy we are to be free of running to the pool store.
Two years ago we opened and took water to pool store bought over 200$ worth of chemicals to get it "corrected" from test results. Well... three weeks later and after draining off 1/2 water to correct what chemicals did, I searched and found this site. Sold all chemicals left and bought chlorine, Baking soda, Borax, and muriatic acid to have on hand. Happy all that summer, had so many people comment on how sparkling clear our water was. No more green hair love this site!!!! We very rarely add anything other than chlorine use skimmer socks, and vac often.
We closed our pool late Sept, opened it last weekend and it was clear except for bugs, worms, and sand that had gotten through the winter cover. The temp was 46 degrees, not ready for a swim. Today I vacuumed and added some chlorine. It was 56 degrees today with the solar cover. Thank you so much for this site!
Today before adding anything our results were 2 FC, .5, CC, 2.5 TC 75 Calcium 80 Alkalinity CYA 40

Outstanding! :goodjob: Great to hear the opening went well. As expected, your FC is low after the winter slumber, so with a CYA of 40, you can (if you chose) bump it up to "16" SLAM level if you want for a day or two and do an OCLT to ensure any remaining organics have been eliminated. You didn't post your pH, but that's easy enough to adjust as well (as needed). Congrats on a great opening. Have a great swimming season. :swim:

Outstanding! :goodjob: Great to hear the opening went well. As expected, your FC is low after the winter slumber, so with a CYA of 40, you can (if you chose) bump it up to "16" SLAM level if you want for a day or two and do an OCLT to ensure any remaining organics have been eliminated. You didn't post your pH, but that's easy enough to adjust as well (as needed). Congrats on a great opening. Have a great swimming season. :swim:

Thanks, I will do that. The grandkids had to do the first in challenge so I had to wait for that to happen. They did that yesterday. Will SLAM today. the ph was 7.5 BTW