Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Turning SWG off??

1. Back To Top    #1

Turning SWG off??

So I am new to the SWG. Grew up with a chlorine tabs. Just had new system installed. Reading through the manual for the Salt System I came across this warning: This Salt System power supply must be connected to the same source power supply as the circulating pump provides water flow to the cell. Any isolation switch, time clock, or control that operated the circulating pump must simultaneously operate the Salt System control. Page 2 http://cdn.lesliespool.com/wpdf/INST...t%20System.pdf

Does this mean that the pump timer should also run the SWG or that I need to manually turn off the salt system? Emailed Leslie's (who did the install and now owns Jacuzzi) and did not get much help.
    In Ground 20,000 Vinyl
    Jacuzzi VSP-150, Jacuzzi J-SS40 Salt chlorine generator , Jacuzzi Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Turning SWG off??

Welcome to TFP!!!

The pump timer should also cut power to the SWG. The flow switch should not be relied upon as the primary shut-off.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the response. Since my pump timer is not connected should I just be manually turning it off every night? I have just been leaving it on. Anyone else run into this problem?
    In Ground 20,000 Vinyl

4. Back To Top    #4

You should have it wired as soon as possible to prevent accidental operation with the pump off. In the interim, yes, please manually turn off the generator anytime the pump is off, not just at night.

The risk, although rare, is an explosion. The flow sensor is designed to prevent that, but it could fail, so please don't take that chance.
    In ground vinyl Grecian, 24k gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, VGreen VSP 165, Hayward SWG, Raypak NG 265k heater, dolphin m4.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

5. Back To Top    #5

Have them come out and wire it properly since you paid for the work! When pump is energized (through the timer or pool controller) the same should happen for the swg. When the power is cut to the pump, it should cut power to the swg as well. Normally they just piggy back the wires from the pump power source to grab power for the swg.
    18,000 gunite pool/spa combo. Pebble tec, iaqualink rs8, cl580 filter, aquapure 1400, 400k btu lx heater, 10 solar panels, jandy 1hp, 1 1/2hp, and 2hp stealth pumps for circ, spa, waterfall

6. Back To Top    #6

Here is some inspiration to turn the cell off and get it wired to a timer pronto.

New Member Swade
    Exploding pool!!!!!!
    SWG cell explosion
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

You can run the pump without the SWG running, but you should not power on the SWG without the pump running. Many will power them from the same timer so the SWG and pump would run at the same time. If you want to be able to run the pump at times without the SWG, then you can use other methods - like two timers, automation, or a fancier timer that an control both.
    38'x16' Fiberglass pool - 3.5' - 8' deep - 19,000 gallons. AutoPilot Total Control SWG (RC-52 cell), Pentair SuperFlo VS, Pentair SD70 Sand Filter, Coverstar Automatic Cover, 10' board, PAL Treo lighting, Polaris 9550 Sport robot, Lamotte ColorQ Pro 7 test kit.

8. Back To Top    #8

While you are at it, you might want to consider a second controller for your SWG. In my case my solar panels had the pump running a lot of hours, which increased hours on the SWG, and had the tendency to over chlorinate my pool one week, and under chlorinate it the next. I wired a second timer in the series so the SWG:

A - was energized only when the pump was running
    B - turned off and on per my timer only when the pump was running.

So now I have independent control of the hours my SWG runs.
    SWG: CircuPool (5/2018) Universal 40; 3000ppm seems ideal;
    My Ideal Specs:
    FC 5; PH 7.4-7.6; TA 90; CH 350; CYA 75; = SI ~ 0.19
    14,000 gal, in ground, plaster, Cartridge filter, Borates
    TAYLOR K - 2006 Last Circupool SI30+ 4 years RIP.

9. Back To Top    #9

What timer did you buy for your SWG?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckiechan View Post
    While you are at it, you might want to consider a second controller for your SWG. In my case my solar panels had the pump running a lot of hours, which increased hours on the SWG, and had the tendency to over chlorinate my pool one week, and under chlorinate it the next. I wired a second timer in the series so the SWG:

A - was energized only when the pump was running
    B - turned off and on per my timer only when the pump was running.

So now I have independent control of the hours my SWG runs.
    In Ground 20,000 Vinyl

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by mclemn View Post
    What timer did you buy for your SWG?
    It's the T104 because I'm a 240VAC system. It was a stand alone box. Basically, you wire the two clocks together, and pull your voltage the pump circuit. Be sure to use non metallic conduit, and bond the box.

To wire:

How to wire Intermatic T104 and T103 and T101 timers

Go down to "Two T104 timers for filter and cleaner"

You are not supposed to use two wires to one terminal, but I did. Maybe and electrician can share a "code" hookup scenario.
    SWG: CircuPool (5/2018) Universal 40; 3000ppm seems ideal;
    My Ideal Specs:
    FC 5; PH 7.4-7.6; TA 90; CH 350; CYA 75; = SI ~ 0.19
    14,000 gal, in ground, plaster, Cartridge filter, Borates
    TAYLOR K - 2006 Last Circupool SI30+ 4 years RIP.