Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plaster stains

1. Back To Top    #1

Plaster stains

I have some stains in the deep end of my plaster bottoms pool. I have taped sandpaper to a brush I use to normally brush the pool which has helped remove stains in the past. Its just kind of a hassle. Does anyone recommend a brush made for this or had something they have tried that worked good?

Thanks,

Greg

30,000 Gallon Salt water, size (20ft x 26ft x 36ft), depth 3 1/2ft to 8 1/2ft. Plaster bottom with fiberglass kit walls installed in 2012. Pentair Filter (FNSP48) uses D.E. Motor is Pentair WFE-24 / 011517, HP 1.0 Easy Touch control system

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Plaster stains

Before attacking stains, it's best to figure out if they are metal stains, organic stains or calcium scale with embedded dirt. Each type of stain has a different approach to it for removal. Mechanical scrubbing only works if it's from a source that will not return; some types of stains recur in the same places because of more fundamental issues.

Have you tried identifying the stains?
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    Before attacking stains, it's best to figure out if they are metal stains, organic stains or calcium scale with embedded dirt. Each type of stain has a different approach to it for removal. Mechanical scrubbing only works if it's from a source that will not return; some types of stains recur in the same places because of more fundamental issues.

Have you tried identifying the stains?
    They are a light brown/yellowish color and typically show up in the same places. In the deep end where the floor curves up the wall.

30,000 Gallon Salt water, size (20ft x 26ft x 36ft), depth 3 1/2ft to 8 1/2ft. Plaster bottom with fiberglass kit walls installed in 2012. Pentair Filter (FNSP48) uses D.E. Motor is Pentair WFE-24 / 011517, HP 1.0 Easy Touch control system

4. Back To Top    #4

I would suggest using some Vitamin C in a sock to determine of they are metal stains. If they don't react (lighten) to that, then you can put a trichlor puck on it for a few minutes to see if it's organic/biological.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    I would suggest using some Vitamin C in a sock to determine of they are metal stains. If they don't react (lighten) to that, then you can put a trichlor puck on it for a few minutes to see if it's organic/biological.
    I assume I can do all of this under water without draining the pool?

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes. No draining.

Matt

7. Back To Top    #7

More info here, Pool School - Pool Stains
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

They make a little attachment (like a sponge with a reservoir) that you can put on a pole and put Muratic Acid or Vit C in a cap and then put the spot.

I got one and used it on a few spots. Worked ok.

https://www.amazon.com/Purity-Pool-O.../dp/B004VLB3VE
    25k 20x40 Gunite w/ integrated Spa & Caribbean Blue Plaster, Curved Bluestone Coping, Deck Jets
    Pentair Easy Touch/Wireless, Sta-Rite Intellipro SRVS Pump, Intellibrite Lights, & Pentair IC40 Cell, Sta-Rite 450sf Cartridge filter
    Heated from Central Boiler - Outdoor Wood Furnace & Triangle Tube Max Heat Exchanger
    ColorQ Pro
    TF-100