Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Backfilling Dirt Against New AGP

1. Back To Top    #1

Backfilling Dirt Against New AGP

Greetings, noobie here! I just had an 18'X33'X54" AGP installed and there was 18" of grading needed to get the site level. The installers said to just push the dirt back against the pool after it filled. I have concerns with doing that specifically around corrosion of the wall and weight against the wall if/when the pool needs drained for a liner replacement. Below is a partial pic of the pool site.

I inquired at the pool dealer and they're supposed to get back with me. I thought I would see if anyone might have some input on this. Thanks in advance!

IMG_1655.jpg
    18'X33'X54" Diamond Star by Wilbar AG pool / 2HP - 2 speed pump and sand filter / 17,500 gallon city water filled / installed 4/25/17 / TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Backfilling Dirt Against New AGP

It should state in the installation/owners manual for the pool if you can backfill against it. A lot of pools allow backfill of up to 2 feet. Some AGP frames can be completely buried. Put a layer of sand between the pool and the soil which will help prevent the finish on the metal from being scratched but rocks in the soil and help water in the soil drain away from the pool instead of building up there.
    Chuck-
    15x30 AG, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is AD Free and is funded solely by member support click here to help

3. Back To Top    #3

I know the codes are different everywhere but if you still need to get it inspected for a permit, don't backfill. They will fail you as the rail needs to be a certain height from the ground. I backfilled after inspection since I'm going to be building a deck on the shorter side anyway which negates that.
    24' round AGP - 15,200 Gallons - Hayward Sand Filter - Hayward Swimpro LX Pump 1HP - Vinyl Liner

4. Back To Top    #4

It's above 48", no fence in NJ. That's why the pools are higher now. Might be same across the country. I have fence around top of pool for this reason.

End view of pool.JPG
    13700 gal, 32'x16'x54" AG oval, vinyl, Echo Canyon II, 8500 series, Narrow Yard, Safety Fence & Stair, Sta-Rite Crystal Flow T-210WF, 44 GPM, Hayward SP1580TL 1HP Pump, Aqua Luminator, Festiva wedding cake steps, March 2006, TFT-100, Speed-Stir, Sample Sizer. Avatar Credit: TJ Townsend

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you for your replies! It seems the general consensus is that a back fill below 24" is acceptable so I should be OK in the long run.

Does anyone recommend putting down a plastic barrier between the pool wall and sand/dirt back fill?
    18'X33'X54" Diamond Star by Wilbar AG pool / 2HP - 2 speed pump and sand filter / 17,500 gallon city water filled / installed 4/25/17 / TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

OK, the pool dealer called me and said I'm good up to 36" to backfill. No sand or plastic needed. Thanks again!

I'll be testing water soon and starting that adventure ... along with building a deck. Let the fun begin!

7. Back To Top    #7

There's usually fine print or an addendum to if backfill or burial is acceptable.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

8. Back To Top    #8

Post pics up when you get your deck built!!
    18x33x54 AGP (18,500 gallons) - Hayward Power Flo 2 Speed Pump - Hayward 24" Sand Filter - TF100 Test Kit