Fittings stuck

Jul 29, 2013
Hello,

Last night i started to assemble my pool equipment. I have several pool fittings that seem to get stuck. I tried cleaning off a bit before trying to screw them together, but once i start to screw them together, they seem to get to a point where they get stuck. They won't tighten any more (still leak) and now very difficult to remove.

Any suggestions as to what type of lubricant, silicone spray or something i could use to help loosen and assist in re tightening ?

Liquid Wrench
PB Blaster

I think these are oil based, not sure if they should be used on PVC Pool fittings?

ok, really so each plumbing fitting/valve should have teflon tape (or dope). Hmmm, did not realize that since when it was installed, only the more permanent fittings had that.

So, any suggestions on what to use to help get unstuck so i can then add tape?

ok, really so each plumbing fitting/valve should have teflon tape (or dope). Hmmm, did not realize that since when it was installed, only the more permanent fittings had that.

So, any suggestions on what to use to help get unstuck so i can then add tape?
Not really. Plastic screw-type plumbing fitting threads often get deformed, which is why they stick. Maybe some silicon spray if you have it, but I wouldn't go buy any just for this. Have you ever thought of cutting things out and replacing them with a union that is designed to be dismantled? Is this a union, by chance? If so, maybe the O-ring is missing?

Yes, these are unions and all have o'rings. where pipe connects to pump. Where flow valve connects to pipe that goes to heater etc.... All meant to be removed and reconnected. A bit expensive to cut out and replace.

Try silicone o-ring lube.

If the threads are distorted or galled the unions may just need to be replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My unions get stuck or bound up when over tightened. In my experience, the o-rings seat best when lubed then only hand tightened. Overtightening causes deformations when the o-rings pinch then stretch while the fitting is turned. Might be your issue, might not be, but I hope it helps.

My unions get stuck or bound up when over tightened. In my experience, the o-rings seat best when lubed then only hand tightened. Overtightening causes deformations when the o-rings pinch then stretch while the fitting is turned. Might be your issue, might not be, but I hope it helps.

:goodpost:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.