When do pipes freeze while running?

ChewBiscuit

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 25, 2013
Cedar Rapids, IA
Hello,

Our pool is up and running, but today the temperature has dropped to 36 degrees outside. I decided to turn on my heater to the lowest setting, 65 degrees, to prevent pipes freezing, while I'm SLAMming. It said the water temp was mid-50s. On a running pool, when do things start getting too cold and equipment takes damage, frozen pipes etc.?

Than you in advance for your help and advice!

It takes many hours well below freezing to even begin to freeze. I don't close my pool and there have been no signs of ice with overnight temps in the low teens and daytime temps in the 20s. Lowest temp I've seen was 11 and no ice. We did get a slight skim of ice on about half the pool and some ice build up in the plumbing on the equipment pad when the power was out for 2-1/2 days and the lo temps were in low 20s with highs around 32.

The water temp will have to get below 32ºF for it to start freezing, and with the pump running it'll have to get colder than that. Probably the mid twenties.

Your night time temps will have to get well below freezing for many hours in order for the equipment to sustain any freezing damage. The pressure gauge would probably be the first thing to have any damage, because there's no flow through it, and it's usually exposed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.