Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: When do pipes freeze while running?

1. Back To Top    #1

When do pipes freeze while running?

Hello,

Our pool is up and running, but today the temperature has dropped to 36 degrees outside. I decided to turn on my heater to the lowest setting, 65 degrees, to prevent pipes freezing, while I'm SLAMming. It said the water temp was mid-50s. On a running pool, when do things start getting too cold and equipment takes damage, frozen pipes etc.?

Than you in advance for your help and advice!
    24,300 gallons, IG vinyl, Hayward Pro Series S244T sand filter, 3ft to 9ft deep

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: When do pipes freeze while running?

It takes many hours well below freezing to even begin to freeze. I don't close my pool and there have been no signs of ice with overnight temps in the low teens and daytime temps in the 20s. Lowest temp I've seen was 11 and no ice. We did get a slight skim of ice on about half the pool and some ice build up in the plumbing on the equipment pad when the power was out for 2-1/2 days and the lo temps were in low 20s with highs around 32.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

The water temp will have to get below 32F for it to start freezing, and with the pump running it'll have to get colder than that. Probably the mid twenties.

Your night time temps will have to get well below freezing for many hours in order for the equipment to sustain any freezing damage. The pressure gauge would probably be the first thing to have any damage, because there's no flow through it, and it's usually exposed.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok, thanks for the responses!!
    24,300 gallons, IG vinyl, Hayward Pro Series S244T sand filter, 3ft to 9ft deep