Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just getting started in opening a green pool. New to this method

1. Back To Top    #1

Just getting started in opening a green pool. New to this method

Hello everyone I took my cover off last weekend and started the process. I purchased the TF-100 test kit and here are my numbers
    FC 6.5
    CC 1
    CYA didn't show up on my test so I assume Zero. When I mixed the drops with the water it never turned cloudy and never covered the black dot on bottom of testing tube.
    PH 7.6
    CH 0
    TA 80

I have dumped some bleach in and my water is now cloudy blue, however I didn't really know what I was doing until I read all the info on here.
    The PH was off the charts high so I managed to fix that to a 7.6
    TA was 60 I adjusted that to 80
    Just tested last night and found out that I have Zero CYA in pool.

What is my next steps? Stabilizer? Than slam
    I put those figures in the pool math and this is the results for the CYA
    192 oz by weight, or 200 oz by volume or 497 oz of liquid. What kind of stabilizer am I going to buy, just go to Walmart and buy some stabilizer?
    I would really love to see some blue water this year and would appreciate some help.
    thank you
    Inground 35,900 gal, Hayward sand filter, Hayward 1.5 HP pump, well water, vinyl liner, test kit is TF-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Just getting started in opening a green pool. New to this method

Yep......Walmart jug of granular CYA and raise to 30. Then follow the SLAM procedure in Pool School.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok so 9lbs of stabilizer. You say granular, should I be putting in skimmer? Also Is my PH too high, should I lower it?
    Inground 35,900 gal, Hayward sand filter, Hayward 1.5 HP pump, well water, vinyl liner, test kit is TF-2006

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Yes lower pH to 7.2.

We recommend putting granular stabiliser into an old sock and hanging in front of a return (making sure that it is hung so that its away from the pool wall).
    11 000 gallons, IG, Fibreglass, Monarch Sand Filter, Davey Typhoon C100M 1HP pump, Davey Chloromatic Mc16CTO ESR SWG, Davey Pool Wall Climba Robot, Daisy Solar Cover,
    K-2006

5. Back To Top    #5

ok, well I was doing this all wrong before I decided to come here and print and read.
    Lower the PH
    Get stabilizer in there.
    slam

As it needs attention every hour on the hour I need the weekend to start. If I put the stabilizer in starting today, which is Thursday, can I start slamming on SAT.
    So this sock thing, wont it take for ever for 9lbs of stabilizer being I can only put a little in the sock at a time?

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

If you've got more than one return you can use 2 socks - it does help to give it a bit of a squeeze every now and then to help it along. It shouldn't take too long.

The stabiliser once it dissolves is effective but its best to give it a day or so to register on the test.
    11 000 gallons, IG, Fibreglass, Monarch Sand Filter, Davey Typhoon C100M 1HP pump, Davey Chloromatic Mc16CTO ESR SWG, Davey Pool Wall Climba Robot, Daisy Solar Cover,
    K-2006

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok sounds good.thank you

8. Back To Top    #8

Klester, You can start the SLAM tonight when you get home from work. If you can test and dose 4 times a day/night you can get a head start on killing that algae.

1-test and dose when you get home and change clothes

2-test and dose after dinner

3-test and dose right before bed.

4-test and dose after first cup of coffer but before you dress for work.

On the weekend you can hit it hard and heavy and speed things up.

Do what you can when you can do it and you will beat it back!

Make sure to leave the pump running 24/7 please.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Even with my CYA of zero. I just bought some stabilizer at lunch time and I'm going to put in tonight when I get home.

10. Back To Top    #10

The CYA is for when you have sun on your pool. It is sun screen for the FC really SO at night your FC will be able to get started and you should have some CYA in the pool by morning so it will be a win-win!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

ahh ok great thanks.